Bail Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive primarily with my daughter (15). As you can imagine, its rec diving. We plan on doing DIR-F when she's 16.

In a nutshell, should I be carrying a bail out option for her? I guess primarily a pony bottle is what I have in mind. You know, a "things have gone wrong, backup oxygen is needed" kind of scenario. NEVER a "let's stay a little longer" option.

Is it worth it? Or am I just being a Dad, sounder minds would focus elsewhere?

Thanks

Perhaps teach her how to dive using/wearing a bail-out system, and let her carry her own pony cylinder. In an OOA situation, she's going to want that pony as close to her as possible...

You'd be giving her a head start for that DIR-F class I'd think.
Just a thought.

For Her size,,,You might want to consider a Spare Air..small,compact and will get her to the surface in the event of an emergency http://www.submersiblesystems.com/ Read up on it..

"Pony bottle" and "DIR-F" are pretty much mutually exclusive. Practicing air-share drills together might be a more constructive and rewarding skills (and confidence) building exercise.

UWSojourner:
In a nutshell, should I be carrying a bail out option for her?
Why?

How about this instead? - together, the 2 of you:
Learn to be inseperable buddies
Learn gas management so neither of you needs a "bailout"
Learn to plan dives and stick with your plans
Learn and practice air sharing and other skills drills
Learn and practice communication skills

UWSojourner:
In a nutshell, should I be carrying a bail out option for her?
Thanks
Aren't you already? You and your tank?

I would also suggest practicing good gas management, buddy contact and communication and air sharing. These will go much further to keeping your daughter safe than a pony bottle would.

Snowbear:
Why?

How about this instead? - together, the 2 of you:
Learn to be inseperable buddies
Learn gas management so neither of you needs a "bailout"
Learn to plan dives and stick with your plans
Learn and practice air sharing and other skills drills
Learn and practice communication skills

I do agree with Snowbear on the importance of the skills listed above. And in the perfect world that is all you need, however when things go wrong, they seldom follow rules.

Learn all of the above skills, but also be prepared for separations. This means, having a pony bottle for each of you. It is very nice to have when things don't go as planned.

I agree with Scubaroo and Snowbear. If you're going the DIR route there are better ways to safeguard your and your daughter's safety.

Ben

UWSojourner:
"things have gone wrong, backup oxygen is needed"
Oxygen? You're certified, considering taking DIRF and you're calling your gas oxygen?

There's a lot of details in DIR. You both better start getting used to sweating the small stuff now.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom