Balmorhea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bev'sBoy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dove Balmorhea 3/13-3/16/2016. Water temp 72-74 deg. My 3 mm wet suit was fine. Viz ~ 50 ft. Viz would be better, but there is a lot of particulate on the vegetation that gets stirred up . Fifty foot viz in Texas ain't bad though. My max depth was 22 ft with the computer on the bottom of the pool. The check-in attendant told me the depth was 25 ft at the far end of the pool's right arm. That is where a drain is, at least I think it is a drain. Did not find 25 ft there, 19 ft at best. Found 22 ft toward the far side of the pool's circular part opposite the stair entry, near the Gig'em Aggies sign carved in a rock. So much for not messing with the environment. Saw hundreds of 2 inch fish, a black catfish or two, a turtle and a tiny (crayfish?). The scuba area is a channel that runs about 2/3 the length of the pool. The sides slope toward the center so the bottom width is 10-12 ft., vegetation and rock. Seeing the springs bubble up out of the ground was my highlight. Stairs made it easy to enter and exit the pool. The Funky Li'l Dive Shop is about 1/4 mile to the left exiting the park. The place that is open is a souvenir and curio shop, but the salesperson will call someone to open the funky shop across the parking lot. Air fills $10, tank rentals $15. Well experienced wet suits and BCDs, and weights are available. I did not ask about regulators. Bring chairs and a table if you plan to stay in the San Solomon Springs park motel. Our room had one chair, no table. Our daughter and son-in-law's room had no chair, no table. Twenty + channels on cable. Verizon cell service available. ATT spotty. Others? Don't ask. No internet. About four eateries in Balmorhea. We visited the Cutest Restaurant in Balmorhea (Tex-Mex). the Bear's Den. Good food, pretty good service. Only one wait staff on duty during spring break. A couple of off brand gas stations in Balmorhea. A small essentials only grocery store too.

Great report. I live and teach diving in Midland. That is basically how it is in Balmorhea. You will only get 22ft from the pool, regardless of what others may say. The internet from a phone or Mifi is very spotty at best. They also just opened a small snack bar at the park. Another restaurant is a gas station if you are leaving Balmorhea is on the left called the Golden Goose. Very good food.

Thanks Bev'sBoy planning on diving there at the end of the month very informative

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom