Baltimore, Maryland new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I've been cold water quarry diving since November 2008, and just received my Advanced Open Water certification in May. I've finished 13 dives, all of them in quarries within 3 hours drive of Baltimore. I dive in a rented wetsuit, rented gear, and with a dive master. I don't have a dive buddy, nor do I know anyone who is a diver.

May I ask a few questions, please?

I am focusing on practicing and maintaining my basic open water skills. The most important thing for me is to practice practice practice, especially buoyancy and emergency skills.

As a marathon runner, I've had excellent support and interactivity with other runners of different skills. Because I am part of an ongoing training team, I know what's expected of me, I have coaches interacting with me and my teammates, and there is a logic to all of this.

I'm having difficulty learning (please excuse me) the waters. Because going out to a site requires a buddy you can really trust, and someone who will watch over the newbie diver, I am hesitant to simply show up at a site and hope.

How do I practice in the fall and winter?

Thank you so much,
FairHaired Menace

I will share some of my personal philosophies. First off, a diver needs to be self reliant. Its good to have a dive pal or buddy, but don't ever depend on them to save you. They are there as a last resort. Learn how to save yourself in a time of need. Once you become self reliant, you can dive solo if necessary. I always prefer to dive with others. Can I dive solo and feel confident that I am comming back to the surface alive and well? The answer to that question is YES.

Finding a dive pal is always difficult prior to a dive. Although, when you show up at a site or dive boat, there is always a diver or divers that will allow you to hook-up with them.

Congrats on the AOW. Come on down to the Carolina's one season and do some offshore diving. Check out the link below

Lee,
Thanks so much for your post. Two questions, please. How do I become self-reliant? Is pool practice a good strategy for this?

Tell me more about the Carolinas scuba group-- in order to look around, I must join the group, yes?

Nancy

I will share some of my personal philosophies. First off, a diver needs to be self reliant. Its good to have a dive pal or buddy, but don't ever depend on them to save you. They are there as a last resort. Learn how to save yourself in a time of need. Once you become self reliant, you can dive solo if necessary. I always prefer to dive with others. Can I dive solo and feel confident that I am comming back to the surface alive and well? The answer to that question is YES.

Finding a dive pal is always difficult prior to a dive. Although, when you show up at a site or dive boat, there is always a diver or divers that will allow you to hook-up with them.

Congrats on the AOW. Come on down to the Carolina's one season and do some offshore diving. Check out the link below

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom