Banned from Pro Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all have made some very good points, but still...

I know that if I go to my LDS and buy a product, I will pay extra for the customer service from a trusted professional.

How can I trust any "professional" who sales tactics are so aggressive that purchasing something somewhere else is grounds for being refused entrance to a cert class?

Is it really still a service to me (or to the dive shop) that the sales staff must pressure me to buy their equipment because the cost is so high?

As a new diver, it is pretty difficult to know what you are looking for, but when there's sales pressure added, sport diving just isn't fun anymore. My local dive club is the only thing which has made it decent enough to buy equipment at all...

Just my 2 cents...

-MM

where little, if anything, shocks me anymore. I have seen such outlandish behavior that I guess this treatment of someone by an LDS is not totally surprising.

Nevertheless, I feel it is totally and completely RUUUUUUUUUDE.

Very bad manners and terrible business practices.

Well, I've been giving this thread some thought. We have what I guess you'd call an LDC in Socal (Local dive chain), if you teach there, or DM, they require you to dive their product lines, but you have a year to be in compliance. Plus, when you teach or DM there, you get a substantial discount. This does not seem unreasonable.

In high dollar items, I see this as a fair way to do it.

In clothing, however, I use the military as my example. You are issued uniforms, and get a yearly stipend to mantain or replace them.

Were I running a business, these are the models I think I'd use.

TJ

kwesler once bubbled...
If you work for many clothing stores, you must wear their clothes, at YOUR expense-my wife worked for The Limited-it is PRICEY! to adhere to that policy! Many other stores have dress codes as specific as uniforms, and as general as colors or appropriate clothing.
There are some high-end clothing stores (I believe The Limited is one of the chains involved) here in California being sued because of exactly that - employees are either required (or very strongly encouraged) to purchase the same store's products as their work wear, reportedly with no discount. Apparently there is a law in this state that employers must provide any required uniforms at no cost to the employee. One of the arguments the plaintiffs are using in their lawsuit is that the employers' clothing requirement constitutes a uniform. Maybe this could be a tactic used by DMs working in shops requirng them to use a particular brand to get FREE gear :wink: Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to see such an argument used in other situations if the clothing store lawsuit is successful.

To add my two cents to this thread, this type of treatment by an LDS worries me as a new diver. I am truly at the LDS' mercy until I gain enough experience and knowledge to truly know whether they are providing good information or just trying to make a sale. Although I try not to pre-judge, particularly only hearing one side, I have seen enough postings on this board of similar bad experiences to wonder how rampant the behavior is.

I am willing to pay for service & knowledge, and I will need that from an LDS as I begin the investment in my equipment. Like others here, however, I fear that the cost for that expertise will be excessive. Maybe I will get lucky and find one of the LDS that treats its customers fairly...

I think I am quite safe in stating that most dive shops don't operate this way (forcing equipment that is without offering the use of rental gear), and many seem to not apply these tactics in this area anyway.
Once again, take you business, or trades, eslewhere! Let markets and consumer convictions rule the day. I would never do business with someone when forced to by virtue of the legal system (or at least continue to do so).
The LDS's who want business will cultivate those who want service and are willing to pay, leave the other out in the cold to fend for themselves. They have no bith right to force the LDS to do their bidding. Find an LDS who wants your business and leave the others alone to serve the main population.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The whole dive business sucks. The manufacturers suck and the agencies suck. I'm all for shutting down the whole industry. I would pay more of my own money to see some of the big manufacturers bite the dust.

There now I feel better.

Can't say that I disagree Mike. It would be fun to see all the tanks being shipped to Leisure Pro to get filled..

It would be even funnier to see our reps face having to be a bit humble instead of threatening us trying to force people to buy equipment.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Genesis is opening the New and Improved Good Deal Dive shops all over the country soon.
I can't wait!
Rick

Heck, a couple of months back he was going to float a EAN filling station to take business away from the dive shops. I've been all over the Gulf looking for it. I guess I should have turned left instead of right at the 3rd loggerhead.

A truly safe and affordable compressor... I mean something that plugs into the cigarette lighter of your car, and in an hour or so can pump up an AL80 to 3300 psi safely. And it should sell for $100.

Then those should be sold on Leisurepro.

I'd never hit my LDS again... And we'd all get our wish.

SeaJay once bubbled...
A truly safe and affordable compressor... I mean something that plugs into the cigarette lighter of your car, and in an hour or so can pump up an AL80 to 3300 psi safely. And it should sell for $100.

Then those should be sold on Leisurepro.

I'd never hit my LDS again... And we'd all get our wish.

I'd buy one.

R..

With today's technology, why this can't be done?

I mean, if we can create something like a 150 psi compressor that sells for $29, why can't we create a 3300 psi compressor, with the proper filtration, for $100?

Heck, even if we could create something that would sell for $400 or so...

It wouldn't really make a difference, even if it took something like 8 hours to fill a tank... This would be the sort of thing that you'd hook up to a tank overnight for the next morning's dive... It would be perfect for topping off tanks on a dive boat, too, or always having just a little *extra* sitting around...

Anyone have an idea why this can't be done?

I mean, AIR isn't exactly rocket science... And trimix divers would figure out a quick and easy way of turning it into a He booster...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom