Bare. No? Yes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sarusanj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm looking buy my first BCD. The rental ones I've used from my local shop have been all either Bare or Oceanic. Going with familiarity, I've been looking at the Bare Voodoo, but I noticed in my searching no one here really talks about/suggests any Bare products. There's also no Bare sub-forum. Is there a reason for that? I've never had any issues with them, but they've also been rentals so...

I like a more minimalist type of BCD, i.e. no big side pockets that go halfway up, etc. But I do like to have a pocket or 2 for whatever. D-rings seem to be pretty standard throughout. I've used both jacket and back inflate and much prefer the back inflate. I'm still a beginner, so I'm looking for something that I'll use for the next couple of years or so until I get into more advanced diving. So, preferably no BP/W right now. If it matters, I'm 6' 1" 200 lbs. Any other suggestions or anyone have any experience with this particular BCD? This is also way in the higher end of what I would like to spend btw, but I don't want to buy garbage. :)

Bare Voodoo BCD

For a minimalist type of BCD, the only one I've used is the Aqualung Zuma. Very comfortable, easy to find your buoyancy and adjust with the internal weight pockets. It's really close to not wearing anything (as BCDs go.) $0.02

There's nothing "advanced" about a bp&w.
Please give one a serious thought.

My choice for a minimalist type BC that won't break the bank is the Zeagle Express Tech. It can ordered with a larger wing if need be, is fully customizable (you could add a pocket to the waist straps but frankly ones on your suit are better no matter what type of bc you use), and retails for around $250. I also prefer a weight belt but you can add a weight system to the Zeagle.

And just as an aside a BPW is not just for advanced divers. There are instructors that use them for their OW classes because they are so versatile and adjustable. At your size a BPW with a stainless steel plate would allow you to take some weight off your belt and really help with horizontal trim. I would in no way discount it as an option now.

Scubapro Nighthawk....:cool2: I also had a couple of Oceanic - including the Oceanic Oceanpro but it is like a bullet proof vest, nice but there is a lot of it. The Nighthawk has no big pockets at all, except for a rolldown on one side just in case you need to collect a little treasure. That in conjunction with my Air2 - I really like the set up. There....now you have $0.04 worth.:D

Just get your second BC (as you say, likely a BP/W) now.

Way cheaper than buying two BCs.

Hi Sarusanj
I have a Bare Blackwing for a couple of years now and love it. I did look at the Voodoo, but couldn't justify the extra cost for the ability to inflate it like a jacket BCD.
I dive in all kinds of different environments, from the tropics, to the Great Lakes, and with winter here, ice diving. The Blackwing hasn't let me down yet.
I like the construction and the pockets, I help with student divers, so having big enough pockets to carry extra weights is a bonus.
Plenty of d-rings to attach things
The only downside is the size and weight when travelling, but that's minor.

Why the Voodoo? Are you concerned that you'll end up face down at surface with a back inflation only BCD? I've never really had an issue.

Also, you mentioned you wanted to get a B/P&wing in the future, why not just spend the money now, it'll save in the long run.

Hope this helps

Read Jim Lapenta's post, above.

Personally I opted for a minimalist, rear-inflate BC w/o integrated weights as I fly to half of my dives and I wanted something light and compact for carry-on. The Zeagle Scout has served me well. The #24 lift wing on the scout was adequate in my two-piece 7 mil suit + gloves and hood if I was careful to not be overweighted. Now I am getting used to an AL BP/w with standard (non-padded) straps (I only made the move because I might one day move onto Intro to Cave). Above-water the Scout is more comfortable. Underwater they are pretty much identical to me. However, now that I am getting used to the clip-points and rings I like the multiple out-of-the-way fasten points of the BP. I will be sticking with the BP for the time being.

Here is what I got: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BackPlate_Wing_Package

Bare makes Excellent Products. There Drysuits/Wetsuits are terrific (I Own) I have dove there BCD's and are nice. But for me a Backplate/Wing is much better. Luckily when I was doing my OW class our diveshop has there on pool on site. we started with regular BCD's for 1st 2-3 class sessions the people at the Shop dove BP/W Halcyon/Diverite. So we asked to try After trying on the Halcyon we loved it. Actually my G/F was the one who tried it on as we were shopping for her as none of the others really fit her well. And we left with 2.

If you trully want the minamilist approach thats it. Dont let people temm you that a BP/W is for advanced users cause it's not true. Try one out, the nice thing about them over traditional BC's is that they can grow with (Going doubles/Scooters/ Adding can light) This can be done with Jacket BC's with some effort or modification but is much nicer with Bp/w

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

Thanks all for the input. I think it's a "go with what you know" deal for me. I looked at the Halcyon in the other thread and it looks pretty sweet. I like the idea of having a setup completely customized exactly like I want. But... I feel like I wouldn't even know where to begin or how I would even want a BP/W set up. I've never used one, and barely seen one in person. :)

GeneV- The Blackwing was my first choice, but the side pockets seem bigger and it didn't have the extra inflate option. So I figured "why not for the <$100?"

Crush- That seems like a good base setup, but again, I don't know what half of that means. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom