BARE suspends production on SB SYSTEM drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SB News Feed

News You Can Use
Reaction score
bareSB_thumb.jpg
BARE has suspended production on their promising, stretchable and breathable SB SYSTEM drysuit. This drysuit was a ScubaGadget

More...

This is why I stay away from "innovative" and "high tech" products until they develop a consumer history. it is fun to try new things but Drysuit is an expensive piece of gear and I am not as rich as I would like.

Well, as of now, my SB has over 150 dives on it in the 10 monthst that I've owned it since purchasing it brand new, without a single issue.

It's been deep inside wrecks of all ages, shapes and conditions and continues to perform admirably. Still has the original latex seals on it.

So before you go bashing it, you should realize that the defect rate is around 8% or less. Additionally, Bare is taking full responsibilty for it and even loaning out their demo suits until the defective ones are fixed or most likely replaced.

That's a quality company in my opinion. Try getting that agreement out of any other retail company, not likely.

This is now my second Bare drysuit and I'll keep buying them, as they've been nothing short of bulletproof to me in over 300 dives over two suits.

I also know of at least a dozen people who also own this suit and none have report any issues with them whatsoever.

Way to step up to the plate and take care of your customers Bare! Keep up the great work!

Hi there,

I own this suit and it is MISERABLE. I bought early in 2012 and it was my first drysuit. I did a lot of research and scrapped and saved and determined this was a great suit for my needs (DM, Maritime Archeologist) and I went for it. I dived in it about 10 times and I was wet each time. I assumed I was the problem as this is the first drysuit I've owned. Eventually though, I identified that when I walked the boots bubbled a bit along a seam. Long story short I flew to Malta (the European manufacturing plant is there) and the suit went through two days of tests before I was given a new suit and told that the old one had a flaw in the boots. I was also told this was "highly irregular" and that the boots are the only part of the suit Bare subcontracts so they recused themselves from responsibility a bit. I was, however, given another suit and off I went back to London where I promptly got into 9 degree C water, was soaking wet and freezing. I dove like this for another 10-15 dives because I had to. Bare was notified in May that my second suit was not water tight. Because of work and vacation constraints I could not send the suit back to Bare until early September. Bare told me to ship the suit at my expence and I would be "immediately reimbursed". Bare received the suit on the 3rd of September. To-date I have not received a new drysuit. I've spoken to an individual in the Canada office who is the VP of Sales and has proclimed himself the highest person I can talk to about this matter. I only sought him out after my suit had been (for the second time) in Malta for nearly a month. I have done everything I can possibly do to be a good customer for Bare. Ultimately, I think if and when Bare gets it right the SB System will be a great suit. As such, I've offered to take Bare up on their offer of a loaner drysuit (at roughly half the value of the SB System, so I'm out the cash for now which is frusterating to say the least). I've offered to accept ANY drysuit they have which will work with the SB System undergarments that I have to go with the SB suit. This bars me from a neoprene suit as the SB undergarments are too bulky for a good fit with a neoprene suit, but other than that I've offered to take ANYTHING so great is my need for a suit. Last Thursday I spoke with the same VP again to discuss the fact that six weeks later I don't have a refund, I don't have a suit, I'm losing money as I can't work without a drysuit now, and I'm also not able to participate in much-needed research for my PhD. I clearly stated that I needed to have a suit, ANY suit in my hands by this Friday the 12th of October. I was assured this would happen and given a promise that Bare would "get it right this time". A suit has been shipped to me as of yesterday. I was told the VP woudl be in touch with me about this. He has not contacted me as promised and the only way I know anything has occured at all is because I've chased people in Malta and Canada and dragged information from them. This is a NexGen (less than half the value of my SB suit) and it was shipped standard shipping and I won't receive until the 15th at the earliest which means I will miss out on a tec course this weekend that I have rescheduled twice to accommodate Bare, I will also miss out on a very important archaeological survey which will impact my study and PhD and thus far Bare STILL can't be bothered to make it right. Additionally, I only received a refund for shipping last week, 7 weeks after refund was promised. I belived in Bare. I contined to believe in Bare after TWO faulty SB System suits. However, at this point I think it is fair to say that Bare has failed. I write this to strongly urge any of you considering a Bare product of ANY kind to reconsider. Should something go wrong, Bare will not stand by you and provide customer service in a timely manner. Rather, you will be ignored by its VPs, you will be made promises that are not kept and if you are a professional, you will be out of work and without much needed gear.

Denise,

I find it highly irregular that your first ever scubaboard post is clearly intended to discourage people from buying Bare products. You call yourself a DM and marine archaeologist and yet indicate that you have 0-24 life time dives. You also indicate that you flew to Malta to get your suit fixed and named names of people at Bare Canada and mentioned the UK as one of your locations while your profile indicates you live in Fresno.....

I would be interested in knowing who you work for because at this point I'm getting alarm bells and my gut feeling is that you work for one of Bare's competitors.

R..

Last edited:
I have an older Bare tri-lam and it has been a great suit. I have about 15-20 dives on it, which is not a lot of course, since most of my diving over the last five years has been warm water. All California cold water diving in the dry suit. The only leaks I have encountered were around the neck seal, but that's from me craning my head all different directions and not the suit. I know it's not the newer suit being talked about here. My point being it's a great product and would buy another Bare suit again. Bruce

Denise,

I find it highly irregular that your first ever scubaboard post is clearly intended to discourage people from buying Bare products. You call yourself a DM and marine archaeologist and yet indicate that you have 0-24 life time dives. You also indicate that you flew to Malta to get your suit fixed and named names of people at Bare Canada and mentioned the UK as one of your locations while your profile indicates you live in Fresno.....

I would be interested in knowing who you work for because at this point I'm getting alarm bells and my gut feeling is that you work for one of Bare's competitors.

R..

I would be interested in knowing who YOU work for because at this point my alarm bells are telling me that you are one of BARE distributors :D

I would be interested in knowing who YOU work for because at this point my alarm bells are telling me that you are one of BARE distributors :D

Fair enough.... I don't work in the dive industry at all except as an instructor. I do, however, have a history with BARE products going back to 1989 and since 1989 not a single one of their products has disappointed me.

R..

Fair enough.... I don't work in the dive industry at all except as an instructor. I do, however, have a history with BARE products going back to 1989 and since 1989 not a single one of their products has disappointed me.

R..

Ya. I like their products too. I own two of their wetsuits and they have held out very well against the beating they have been given. I have never had to deal with their customer support though.

Back
Top Bottom