Barotrauma after freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
12 days ago I did some freediving for the first time of my life. I have about 70 dives (with air within the last 12 months) and was going to have some fun in the water without all the gear. I did not have the right decent technique and I was having trouble equalizing my ears, but never had any pain. I know how my ears is supposed to feel like when equalizing and it did not feel right. Had to use some force. I know now that I should not have done that. About an hour in the water snorkeling and swimming to the bottom. Max depth: 5 meter.

Couple of minutes after the dive I heard a lot of high pitched sounds (in different pitch, on and off, like the ear was going crazy) and reduced hearing in my right ear. The left ear is unaffected. Did not worry much of it, just hoped it would go away till the next day. It did not.

Went to a ENT and did a hearing test. It confirmed a hearing loss in the right ear above 3,5 kHz. They did not see anything wrong with the ear except that the eardrum looked like it was slightly bended outwards/inwards. No blood or fluids. They did not have a lot of experience with divers, told me it will probably self heal over time. Did not get any drug.

Today:
Tinnitus/noise and hearing loss in the right ear. Very little improvement. Some high pitch sounds does sound like a broken speaker. It is pretty bad. I am not feeling dizzy or anything.

I have read that a lot of divers in similar situations getting steroids. I am unsure if I should wait and see if it gets better or try getting those steroids.

Any advice?

Jonas

Jonas,

Symptoms like this after a forceful valsalva are worrisome for inner ear barotrauma. You should try to find an ENT who is familiar with diving injuries. DAN Europe may be able to assist you. Their website: DAN Europe - Regional offices

Contact number for Scandanavia: + 45 45836330

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the reply:) I have contacted DAN and are waiting for reply. Still no change in situation.

Regards,
Jonas

Hi Jonas,

I have experienced exactly the same as you 4 weeks ago, also while freediving. I went to a diving doc and ENT and received antibiotics, Ibuprofen, nose spray, antihistamines, cortisone and some pills that make my blood thinner.
My left ear is hearing less, but only in the high frequencies, I sometimes have a tinnitus. Other than that, I feel fine, never had any pain or dizzyness. The doc said, after the ear drum/middle ear healed I could go (scuba) diving again, just not so deep.

Did it get better for you over the last 4 years? Did you continue diving?

Back
Top Bottom