Barracuda experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got rushed by a barracuda today. I've never had that happen before.

As noted above, they usually just shadow you. But this big boy decided to keep coming. He veered down at the last moment and went below my legs, but it was plenty unnerving. I have no idea what caused this type of behavior - I wasn't anywhere near him, and didn't see him until he was right on top of me. I only saw him as my daughter started moving the flashlight beam in front of me and made me look up.

Attached is a bad picture as he started veering off, and I tried fending him off with the camera. The camera was extended out at arm's length, so you get an idea of close he really got.

Marc

Hey, Marc--

couple of questions out of curiosity. Were you diving at night? Were you wearing the same mask that you are wearing in your profile photo? If you haven't seen them, you might find some of my posts interesting under "Barracuda Attack". PS please tell me a little about your dive. Thanks.

Cudabait once bubbled...
Hey, Marc--
couple of questions out of curiosity. Were you diving at night? Were you wearing the same mask that you are wearing in your profile photo? If you haven't seen them, you might find some of my posts interesting under "Barracuda Attack". PS please tell me a little about your dive. Thanks.

No, it was a day dive - this happened about 9:45am. It was in 70' down on a wreck where a few barracuda usually hang out. I had the same mask on. I was taking a picture when I noticed the spot of light from my daughter's light going back and forth in front of me. I looked up and saw the fish, extended my arms and kicked back and away. The barracuda flashed below and past me. I must have sucked a couple of hundred pounds right after that. :)

The only thing I can think of that may have attracted him is the camera itself. It's shiny, and in a clear case. But they've never shown an interest in it before.

Next to a turtle that came up face to face to us once, it's been the most interesting marine encounter I've had to date.

Back
Top Bottom