Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
I probably would not be confortable if I stepped off into a school of them but then again, I don't swim away when I see a few of then either.

From what I understand when they are schooling they are harmless. It is if they are alone and hunting that they need to be more carefully watched. That said, you aren't their food so unless they make a mistake they'll never bother you. On my second OW checkout dive in Venezuela we had a large school swim over us about 2 or 3 meters shallower than we were. I have to say they have VERY creepy eyes!!

As all have indicated these guys are very cool to see. During a shore dive in Roatan I was putting on my last fin and stretching out to swim deep and during that calm moment between I looked around to see three medium size 'cudas surrounding me. They were all pointed at me and couldn't help thinking they must be wondering what the hell this thing is. I was startled for a second then it dawned on me that pleasant surprises like these are why I started diving.

Enjoy!

Oh geez maybe we should dub Barracudas the tooth faries of the see! LOL

triciask:
Thanks Mike,

It's good to know I can be comfortable around them. Lots of misconceptions about Barracudas I guess. I'm glad to know it's fairly safe to be around them.

Thanks for the good advise,
Tricia

Here's a nice shot of one

triciask:
Hi Walter,

Whether a myth or not, I think I would rather not wear anything shiny, than to maybe provoke overly curious Barracudas. And one thing is for sure....I would never try to pet one. I just assume look at them an all their majesty. They are stunning to look.

Thanks,
Tyme

Do what you like, but you have no reason to fear Barracuda.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom