Basic Beginner Light for Low Vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to keep it in the $40 - $60 range, hoping to find a sale or deal.

Thank you for the help. I can take a look at the specs on these products and go from there.

-Faith

Faith, for your needs, you certainly don't need to spend a lot on an expensive light. There's a great little inexpensive light that you can use to get started.

How long can you wait for delivery? Are you adverse to buying on ebay… stuff shipped from China? Here's one on ebay right now:

New 500LM CREE Q5 LED Diving Flashlight Waterproof Torch Underwater Lamp Black | eBay

I've had 3 of these - they are great for day dives (I dive in clear water, but I think they'll still be fine for you). One of my buddies even used mine for a night dive and lost it as he got back into the boat - big deal, they're like $6 each. Incidentally, I don't recommend them for night dives - the beam is too narrow and they aren't quite bright enough for a night dive - my buddy was in a pickle as he didn't bring his night light.

I don't know that ebay seller (there are a bunch of sellers selling this exact light on ebay).

Anyway...
- It's LED
- Has a magnetic pivoting switch (water will not enter the case through the switch)
- Takes 4 AA batteries. NiMH will work fine.

If you get one of these, make sure the o-rings are lubricated, make sure that when you screw the light head back on, you tighten it down all the way.

I just came back from Cozumel. Used one of these lights on each of 15 day dives. Charged the NiMH batteries at the beginning of the trip and did not need to charge them again. I don't turn the light on and leave it on, but I do use it a lot.

My favorite is the uk sl4 eled.

I was going to buy a SL4 until I rented one. It is nice and bright, but the thing is a brick. It was really bulky clipped off to my BC. You need to keep in mind that it takes 4 C-size batteries configured in a 2x2 formation, and plan for a light that has the appropriate weight and size. The DRIS 1000 is priced similarly and only has 3 c-size batteries. The run time might be a bit less, but the batteries are stacked in tandem so it'll be easier to clip off when the light eventually becomes the secondary. The UK SL3 eLED is also an option, and it's closer to the OP's price point.

Thank you again for all the suggestions and tips! I'll let you know what I end up with. I definitely don't want to spend a lot and I don't want something bulky either.

PCA Ikelite, very compact, and very bright. i have two, one for a back up, ( they're that good.) you can get both halogen and led. I've got two Halogen types.

I found this little light back in the 90's and really liked it. It powerful, small, lightweight, durable. They did not have the LED version back then. I like the LED version MUCH better than the old, basic, light bulb version. I have owned a half dozen over the years. Just like everything, they wear out.

Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light
<- Click here

I still like the 1200LM CREE XM L T6 LED Diving Flashlight Torch S1 Set | eBay

Narrow beam, rechargeable batteries, "dimmer" type switch (great on night dives) and the price is right.

I have had very good luck with mine but other people have had problems. I always buy protected batteries and store them outside of the light when not in use.

Congrats on the new dive light purchase! Feel free to post again with a quick review or some feedback after you get a chance to dive with it.

My favorite is the uk sl4 eled. It has an 8 degree beam and is very bright. It's size makes it easy to stow in a bc pocket or it has a good size hole on the back for attaching a clip to hang wherever you wish. It runs on 4 c batteries so you can change it pretty much anywhere in the world and it only rings in at 85$. I'm sure if you search around you could find one on sale or used close to your price range. I have three as back ups or to loan to friends on dives and everyone has loved them.

400 lumens and 10 hours of burn time

I use the same one for all my day dives. Works great. Easy to control underwater. Stands up well to banging against the rocks and coral.

Back
Top Bottom