Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Cressi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ran Google translate, and she is saying,
"That's why the boys are stronger than we are... they use Rondine fins."
I found that too, but you have to be careful with Google Translate when it comes to idioms. "Vanno" in Italian literally means "go" and "forte" literally means "strong", so "vanno più forte" should mean "go more strongly". On one translator's site I found "vanno forte" rendered as "are strong", "are trending", "are coming on strong", "are looking good", "are out speeding", "are huge", depending on the context, and we don't have much in the way of context in Cressi's slogan. As a linguist, I often have to use judgement about what the person behind the words really meant to say, which is never easy as I'm no mind-reader, but "go fast" seemed to fit the context best for me. It's a judgement call and sometimes I will get it wrong. And Google Translate will get it wrong too sometimes as it cannot read minds either.

I found that too, but you have to be careful with Google Translate when it comes to idioms. "Vanno" in Italian literally means "go" and "forte" literally means "strong", so "vanno più forte" should mean "go more strongly". On one translator's site I found "vanno forte" rendered as "are strong", "are trending", "are coming on strong", "are looking good", "are out speeding", "are huge", depending on the context, and we don't have much in the way of context in Cressi's slogan. As a linguist, I often have to use judgement about what the person behind the words really meant to say, which is never easy as I'm no mind-reader, but "go fast" seemed to fit the context best for me. It's a judgement call and sometimes I will get it wrong. And Google Translate will get it wrong too sometimes as it cannot read minds either.

Sorry, no, "vanno forte" means exactly "they go fast". When "forte" is coupled with any motion verb, it invariably means "fast", not "strong".
Example:
"ha avuto un incidente perchè andava troppo forte" means "he had an accident because he was speeding too fast".
"troppo forte" has a double meaning. The standard one is "too much fast", but it can also be translated as "very cool".
A famous Italian film by Carlo Verdone is titled "troppo forte", playing on the double meaning:
Troppo forte - Wikipedia
Of course the English name for the film does not render the double sense...
Back on topic. The exact translation of the Cressi 1974 catalogue should be:
"That's why boys are faster than us... They use Rondine fins!"

Thanks, guys, for likes and comments.

We're on the home straight with the Cressi Rondine family of fins. Today's picks were introduced in the mid 1970s and are each identified by a single letter of the alphabet.We'll begin with the Cressi Rondine L:

upload_2020-6-21_9-13-54.jpeg

Italian: "Rondine « L », la pinna usata dai campioni di caccia subacquea, a pala allungata, consente il massimo rendimento per l'uso in apnea. Mescola morbida e confortevole nella scarpetta. più elastica e scattante nella pala, viene prodotta in 3 calzate: 40/41, 42/43, 44/45."
Official translation: "Rondine «L», the fins which are used by the champions of underwater fishing, have a lengthened blade getting the optimum performance from the use of them in apnea. The soft and comfortable mixture of the little shoe, more elastic and sprining-up in the blade, is produced in 3 sizes: 40/41, 42/43, 44/45."
Unofficial translation: "Rondine 'L', the fin used by underwater hunting champions. with elongated blade, ensures maximum performance for freediving use. A soft and comfortable compound in the shoe, more springiness and snappiness in the blade, it is manufactured in 3 fittings: 40/41, 42/43, 44/45.

So this is Cressi's response to the demand for longer fin blades to win finswimming races and to plumb greater depths. The early 1970s also saw the rise of the monofin as a race-winning accessory, although diving equipment companies chose to keep out of that market at that time.

CRESSI-catalogo-1976---4_0.jpg

Italian: "La Rondine «L» è la prima pinna al mondo con calzata « personalizzata » numero per numero; è quindi possibile utilizzare la taglia che si adatta perfettamente al proprio piede con i conseguenti vantaggi di comfort e di equilibrio dello sforzo. E’ la pinna usata dai campioni di caccia subacquea. In mescola estremamente scattante nella pala e più morbida nella scarpetta, è particolarmente indicata per il nuoto pinnato, per l'apnea profonda od ovunque le condizioni ambientali richiedano la massima potenza e velocità. Disponibile in otto calzate dal 39 al 46. Non galleggianti."
Offocial translation: "The Rondine L is the first fin in the world that is manufactured with the most accurate shoe size. In fact, there is an individual shoe size for every pair available in eight sizes, 39 to 46, in non-floating rubber. These fins are exceptionally well balanced with a flexible blade for maximum speed; ideal for fin racing and preferred by underwater fishing champions."
Unofficial translation: "The Rondine 'L' is the world's first fin to offer a 'personalised' fitting for one shoe size at a time, so you can use whatever size is a perfect fit for your foot, obtaining in the process all the benefits of comfort and balanced effort. This is the fin used by underwater hunting champions. With an extremely snappy compound in the blade and a softer one in the shoe, the model is particularly suitable for finswimming, for in-depth freediving or wherever environmental conditions require maximum power and speed. Available in eight fittings from 39 to 46. Non-floating.

So now the Rondine L not only features a longer blade for enhanced performance but also a foot pocket designed to fit a single shoe size instead of a range of three consecutive shoe sizes as other fins are wont to do.

Cressi Rondine L fins were used by professional freediver Jacques Mayol in 1975 during a scientific experiment to investigate the impact of a 316-foot dive on the human body. Here is Gaetano Cafiero's report in the March 1976 issue of Skin Diver:
SkinDiver1976_1a.jpg

SkinDiver1976_2.jpg

The following image may be from the same experiment and provides a better view of the Rondine Ls:
upload_2020-6-21_10-37-46.jpeg

And here we have images of a black pair:
upload_2020-6-21_10-40-53.jpeg

upload_2020-6-21_10-41-11.jpeg

Note the capital "L" on the sole and "Taglia 45 - Size 11", i.e. a single shoe size as the size marking where the normal expectation would be something along the lines of "Taglie 44-46 - Sizes 10-12", i.e. a range of three shoe sizes. Sadly, the single shoe size feature did not last long, perhaps for economic reasons.

Next time we'll take a look at the Cressi Rondine "S" fin, perhaps best described as Cressi's answer to Beuchat's Jetfin. See you midweek and stay safe in the meantime.:)

Thanks, guys!

Let's move on to the Rondine S, which I said was Cressi's answer to Beuchat's Jefin. You cab judge for yourself whether you agree with my verdict.

upload_2020-6-24_8-41-51.jpeg

Italian: "RONDINE «S» PROFESSIONAL. Pinne a pala multipla: presentano due pale vere e proprie, collegate alla scarpetta con due angolazioni differenti, in modo che i due rendimenti vengano sommati. La particolare angolazione serve per eliminare i punti di spinta negativa. Ottima per profondità, indicata anche per medi percorsi in superficie. 5 calzate: dal 38/39 al 46/47. Poichè nell'uumo non sempre alla variazione della misura del piede corrisponde la variazione della corporatura, le pale delle differenti calzate sono state mantenute presscchè di uguale misura. (Nuovo articolo: consegna marzo 1973)."
Official translation: "RONDINE "S" PROFESSIONAL. Multiple blade fins: have two actual blades, joined to the shoe with two different angles. so that two performances are summed up. The particular angle eliminates the negative points of the thrust. Excellent for depth, suitable also for medium distances on the surlace. 5 sizes from 38/39 to 46/47. Since in man the variation in foot size does not always correspond to the body variation, the blades of the different fin sizes have been kept more or less to the same measurement. (New article: delivery March 1973)."
My translation: "RONDINE "S" PROFESSIONAL. Multi-blade fins: they have two true blades, connected at two different angles to the shoe, enabling both blade performances to be added together. The particular angle eliminates negative thrust points. Excellent for depth, suitable too for medium distances on the surface. 5 fittings, from 38/39 to 46/47. Since foot size variations do not always correspond to body size variations in human beings, blade sizes have been kept almost identical throughout the different fittings. (New article: March 1973 delivery)."

Note the nuances designed to distinguish the Rondine "S" from the Beuchat Jetfin, the subtle change in blade angularity, the constancy of blade length contrasting with variations in foot pocket length.

upload_2020-6-24_9-25-34.jpeg

Italian: "RONDINE «S» PROFESSIONAL. Pinne a pala multipla: presentano due pale vere e proprie, collegate alla scarpetta con due angolazioni differenti, modo che i due rendimenti vengano sommati. La particolare angolazione serve per eliminare i punti di spinta negativa. Ottima per profondità, indicata anche per medi percorsi in superficie. 5 calzate: dal 38/39 al 46/47. Poichè nell'uomo non sempre alla variazione della misura del piede corrisponde la variazione della corporatura, le pale delle differenti calzate sono state mantenute pressochè di uguale misura."
Official translation: "RONDINE «S» PROFESSIONAL. Multiple blade fins: have two actual blades, joined to the shoe with two different angles. so that two performances are summed up. The particular angle eliminates the negative points of the thrust. Excellent tor depth, suitable also for medium distances on the surface. 5 sizes from 38/39 to 46/47. Since in man the variation in foot size does not always correspond to the body variation, the blades of the different fin sizes have
been kept more or less to the same measurement."
My translation: "RONDINE "S" PROFESSIONAL. Multiple blade fins: they have two true blades, connected at two different angles to the shoe, enabling both blade performances to be added together. The particular angle eliminates negative thrust points. Excellent for depth, suitable too for medium distances on the surface. 5 fittings, from 38/39 to 46/47. Since foot size variations do not always correspond to body size variations in human beings, blade sizes have been kept almost identical throughout the different fittings."

So no change there.

Two years later, a change in wording:

upload_2020-6-24_9-39-6.jpeg

Italian: "La Rondine «S» é costituita da due pale di diversa angolazione che aumentano il rendimento riducendo i punti di spinta negativa. E' utilizzata dai professionisti del lavoro subacqueo ed in generale per l'uso con ARA in profondità. Disponibile in cinque calzate dal 38/39 al 46/47. Non galleggiante."
Official translation: "The Rondine S has two blades in different angles to increase performance and reduce unnecessary fatigue. This particular model is ideal for professional divers working in deep water and for use with breathing apparatus; available in five sizes, 38/39 to 46/47, non-floating."
My translation: "The Rondine 'S' features two differently angled blades that increase performance by reducing negative thrust points. The fin is used by professionals carrying out underwater work and, more broadly, for deep diving with scuba. Available in five fittings, from 38/39 to 46/47. Non-floating."

Note how these fins have narrowed in scope from deep-water diving and medium-distance swimming to scuba operations only, thereby excluding freediving, spearfishing and other breathhold underwater activities, which Cressi probably thought were well enough served by their new Rondine "L" long-bladed fin line.

upload_2020-6-24_10-10-9.jpeg

Italian: "Rondine «S». Pinna a doppia pala per uso autorespiratore ed immersioni profonde, in gomma nera non galleggiante calzata dal 39/40 ai 46/47."
Official translation: "The Rondine «S» has two blades for use with aqualungs and in deep-water diving, available in nonfloating black rubber, sizes from 39/40 to 46/47."
My translation: "Rondine 'S'. Double-bladed fin for scuba and deep-water diving use. Made from non-floating black rubber. Sizes from 39/40 to 46/47.

I included the above catalogue entry from 1982 to illustrate how Cressi declined to leap immediately onto the composite-fin bandwagon when it rolled up during the late 1970s with diving equipment business rival Mares at the reins. By the 1990s, however, and sadly in my view, Cressi's catalogue fin pages were replete with pastic blades and thermoplastic polymer foot pockets. My online research leads me to the conclusion that Cressi donated or sold all its rubber fin presses to South America, where they continue to give sterling service to this day in manufacturing fins the way they used to be made everywhere using the world's very best fin material.:)

We'll finish today with some auction site pictures of these vented-bladed fins:
upload_2020-6-24_10-44-22.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_10-45-21.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_10-45-46.jpeg

Another version of the Rondine "S" was the Rondine ARA. The acronym ARA stood for "AutoRespiratore ad Aria", literally "air autorespirator", and more meaningfully, "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus".
upload_2020-6-24_10-56-15.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_10-56-47.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_10-57-26.jpeg

Note the differences between the "S" and "ARA" models around the blade vents and in the commercial markings. I haven't - yet - found any reference to the ARA in a Cressi catalogue, but I have a hunch it was a successor to the Rondine "S", perhaps introduced in the late 1980s or the early 1990s.

That's my contribution for today. Next time I'll be reviewing the Rondine "V", which came with a rare foot-fitting feature. Keep safe in the meantime. The lockdown is slowly easing here in the UK, although people are remaining cautious, wary and, above all, alert (the government's term).

Thanks, АлександрД.

Now for the Cressi Rondine "V" fin.

upload_2020-6-28_9-58-14.jpeg

Italian: "RONDINE «V» PROFESSIONAL Anatomiche, con scarpetta destra e sinistra, arco plantare. Mescola rigida e scattante, colore nero, non galleggianti. Proporzioni maggiorate, pala con maggiore superficie di spinta. Per immersione profonda, ed uso con ARA. Tre calzate: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46".
Official translation: "RONDINE 'V' PROFESSIONAL. Anatomical, with left and right shoes, plantar arch. Rigid and springy mixture, black, non floating. Proportion increased, blade with greater thrust surface. For deep immersion, and use with ARA. 3 sizes: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46".
My translation: "RONDINE 'V' PROFESSIONAL. Anatomical fitting, with the right shoe different from the left shoe, arch support. Stiff, snappy compound, black, non-floating. Larger dimensions, blade with larger surface for thrust. For deep diving and scuba use. Three fittings: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46".

The "professional" tag associates the Cressi Rondine "V" with divers who were intent on plumbing greater depths and on using scuba equipment during the early 1970s. So-called "handed" fins, whose left foot pocket differs from its right foot pocket, are a rare species, particularly in the case of full-foot fins with otherwise symmetrical blades.

upload_2020-6-28_10-49-53.jpeg

Italian: "RONDINE «V» PROFESSIONAL. Anatomiche, con scarpetta destra e sinistra, arco plantare. Mescola rigida e scattante, colore nero, non galleggianti. Proporzioni maggiorate. pala con maggiore superficie di spinta. Per immersione profonda, ed uso con ARA. Tre calzate: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46.
Official translation: "RONDINE «V» PROFESSIONAL. Anatomical, with left and right shoes, plantar arch. Rigid and springly mixture, black, non floating. Proportion increased, blade with greater thrust surface. For deep immersion, and use with ARA. 3 sizes: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46".
My translation: "RONDINE 'V' PROFESSIONAL. Anatomical fitting, with the right shoe different from the left shoe, arch support. Stiff, snappy compound, black, non-floating. Larger dimensions, blade with larger surface for thrust. For deep diving and scuba use. Three fittings: 41/42, 43/44, 45/46".

So no change there.

Back
Top Bottom