Basic Things You Should Have On A Dive Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The liability thing is a good thought. Consider putting the boat in the name of a shell corporation that owns no other assets, and make sure that the corporation owes money to your parents for the boat. Then there's nothing for anyone to go after, and no reason to bother with liability insurance.

Knowledge is the most important item to have onboard any dive boat. Not only the Capt. / Owner but ALL divers onboard should have at least basic knowledge of what do in the event of a diving related emergency.

The USCG offers safe boating classes (which reduces the owners insurance costs). Additionally I would not dive unless someone (other than myself) onboard was trained a least through Rescue Diver. A"non-diving" surface support person will not be of much help if they don't know how to respond in the event of an emergency.

That being said, I realize that you were really looking for an equipment list specific to diving. As a charter boat Capt. myself here are a couple things that often go overlooked - trying to repeat items already mentioned above...

1. Emergency Action Plan -- before every trip you should (as a group) go over what to do when it all goes wrong - know where the closest chamber/hospital/USCG Station is, have a recall signal, a lost diver plan, and a communication plan.
2. At least 2 anchors, you will never regret having a backup anchor when the first one gets stuck or lost.
3. VHF radio AND everyone onboard should know how to use it to contact the USCG or other boats in the area on channel 16 -- a 60 second pre-dive brief will suffice.
4. Good sturdy dive ladder.
5. And last but not least, a complete list of emergency contact information for each diver on board.

All outstanding suggestions. The only thing I could add is that you make sure the person you leave in charge of the boat can actually skipper the boat. Not just drive it, but knows emergency procedures not just related to humans but to the boat itself. Nothing worse than having stranded divers and a crippled, drifting boat. Can't attribute the quote but it's been said: "The sea can be an unforgiving mistress."

I keep a DAN first aid & O2 kit. Satellite phone, Sirius satellite radio with underwater speakers for tunes & an emergency phone list with nearest chamber. My wife stays at surface & reads a book. If we stay longer than planned she puts on all Elvis music LOL.

Aspirin, in case someone has a heart attack or chest pain.

Consider putting the boat in the name of a shell corporation that owns no other assets, and make sure that the corporation owes money to your parents for the boat.

hmmm, I should look into that.

I really love the IPIRB technology, I would buy that before the AED actually.

We have a hand held back-up GPS in our ditch bag which has water, rope, IPIRB, flares. Some sea dog told me to always have rope if you capsize, you need it to loop from bow to stern so you can climb onto the slippery hull. I bought a large canvas intertube that West Marine sell for "tubing" so that I have a makeshift liferaft for about 50 dollars. Once they are termed life raft, the cost goes WAY up.

$30 for gas in any 35 foot boat I've seen isn't going to get you far. Pay the real cost and that $100 charter is going to look very attractive.

On the other hand if someone is willing then your own boat is a great dive platform, just make sure it is going to be there when you surface, and that you can get back on.

Darnold9999:
$30 for gas in any 35 foot boat I've seen isn't going to get you far. Pay the real cost and that $100 charter is going to look very attractive.

On the other hand if someone is willing then your own boat is a great dive platform, just make sure it is going to be there when you surface, and that you can get back on.

Live in SoCal and my dads takes his boat to Catalina all the time and it has never cost him more than $40.

Thanks for all the replies, we are not chartering the boat it will just be me, my uncle, and my good friend. Will look into the liability release form, not a bad idea. He has a dingy that we can use as a life boat and my dad will just sit on the boat and read a book like he always does when he goes on his boat :). I will look into oxygen and me and my dad have already done the USCG class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom