Batteries in Luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to Cozumel on Saturday and someone at work said I cannot put batteries in my checked luggage. Is that true? I have batteries for my dive lights. (8 D Cell and 8 C cell and 5 AA) I also have a spare battery for my camera.

I have packed batteries before without any problem. Checked batteries in question would be the lithium type batteries that can explode. As a matter of fact I had a pack of C cells in my luggage last month when I went to Coz.

Bruce

Thanks for the information.

Do not have the batteries installed in the light...just leave them in original packaging and you should have no problems.Leave the light open and empty.

I am going to Cozumel on Saturday and someone at work said I cannot put batteries in my checked luggage. Is that true? I have batteries for my dive lights. (8 D Cell and 8 C cell and 5 AA) I also have a spare battery for my camera.

You can not put loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.
Please see this page.
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.Learn more at Safe Travel

The battery restrictions apply only to the large lithium batteries such as used in laptop computers, or commercial video cameras and lights. These have the potential to get hot enough to start fires when rapidly discharged if for example the terminals are short circuited. They are allowed if in a proper, unit specific case designed to protect against accidental discharge.

Batteries in the AAA to D sizes are unrestricted, regardless of what type they are.

I suggest you keep batteries in lights with a paper disc at one end of the stack to break the circuit so they can't accidently get turned on. Spare batteries can be rolled in paper cylinders, to protect theit terminals from shorting. Rechargeables are best carried in the light or charger unit.

Avoid carrying things with circuits sich as portable hard drives in checked luggage. While they're allowed, batteries and circuit boards showing up in the X-ray can trigger a hand search, and the increased risk of loss that entails. (no offense to the TSA folks)

We've made a few trips since the new regs went into place and since I do video & wife does photo, we have to carry quite a few batteries. For the AA & AAA batteries, I went to Cabelas(any store that sells ammo would work) & got a plastic ammo box. It is very light and will hold 24 batteries in individual slots. I put a piece of foam in the lid to secure them and put it in my carry-on. The boxes cost <$3. I think it is for a 410 shotgun shell. I also carry a copy of the TSA guidelines in case I run into an agent that is not familiar with the regulations. Alkalines & Nicads are not affected by the regs. I am pretty sure it also states that you are limited to 2 spare lithiums for your cameras and those also need to be carried on. I think you would need the Grenade size for the C's & D's though!

Mike

Great info Peter and Buda!!!!! And budaman....that's a great idea about the ammo case! Another thing to add to "importation" list haha!

For the lithiums, these need to be hidden inside of your cave lights in your carry-on. I have never had a problem sneaking these thru security.

For all other batteries, I have never had a problem packing them into my checked luggage.

Back
Top Bottom