Bauer Oceanus operating temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bit the bullet and began the changeover from mineral to synthetic oil on my Oceanus. I've only run it for 2.5hrs after purchasing it reconditioned from who I believe to be a reasonable Bauer service tech.

So not sure if I'm just being overly cautious or sensitive to it's operation now compared to before, and if I'm worrying about nothing. Previously I've used a laser thermometer to measure just the head temp of the third stage (not first or second), and it generally runs in the 100-110ºC range. This time I also checked the 2nd stage head temp, and it was reading 130 - 140ºC. First and third stages were also in the 100-110ºC range. Is this normal, or does it seem to be too hot?

This is the mineral oil that I drained out of it, which seems to be dirtier than I would've expected from only 2.5 of operation.

oil.jpg

Am I concerned about nothing? Does this seem normal?

Thx.

That oil is the dirtiest oil I've ever seen to come out of a Bauer - filthy.
Gotta ask , just how much did you trust the "Bauer service tech" that you bought it from?. Hope the rest of that compressor is in better shape than the oil.

Michael

That is normal. The synthetic oil will dissolve the carbon deposits that have accumulated in various parts of the compressor when run on mineral oil. You will need to do this a few times. I would suggest running for 10 hours at least before changing oil again. You will get gunk for a long time.

That is normal. The synthetic oil will dissolve the carbon deposits that have accumulated in various parts of the compressor when run on mineral oil. You will need to do this a few times. I would suggest running for 10 hours at least before changing oil again. You will get gunk for a long time.

I'm expecting to get gunk in my oil after a change to synthetic. But this is mineral oil, which has been drained after supposedly only 2.5hrs of use after a rebuild. Before the compressor has seen any synthetic.

I'm expecting to get gunk in my oil after a change to synthetic. But this is mineral oil, which has been drained after supposedly only 2.5hrs of use after a rebuild. Before the compressor has seen any synthetic.
Sorry, I thought you said you had changed to synthetic.

@stiebs hope your transition to synthetic went well. Did the oil ever clear up? Did the temps go down with the new oil?

I somehow missed your earlier request for info on operating temps for the Oceanus. I included below the temperature chart for the Junior and Utilus 10. I imagine yours should be about the same. 130c looks a little high. I measure temp at the cylinder exhaust fitting. The hottest spot I can find, and my Utilus 10 is almost exactly in line with this chart. I am typically compressing 30% Nitrox which appears to run a little hotter than 21%.

I think if the second stage intake valve is bad, the intake fitting and cylinder may get super hot because some of the compressed air from the second stage blows back toward the first stage instead of all going to the third stage intercooler. I’m curious where exactly you were measuring.

6928B646-0780-451D-B294-A230092451E2.jpeg

Thanks for your reply @Curious_George

I've only done just over 5hrs since the first mineral > synth oil change, and am planning on doing a change at around the 10hr mark.

I was measuring the top of the cylinder head. Did a fill yesterday, and have attached some photos. All photos taken at around 12-15 minutes of operation, filling 2x10L steels from 100bar. At time of measuring, I think they were around 210bar or so. Ambient temp around 20ºC. Only measured the temps that were easy to get to.

According to that chart you've shown, looks like my 1st and 2nd stage cylinders look they are running hot, unless I am measuring the wrong spot, and the 2nd stage inlet is also running hot.

(I don't do imperial measurements!)

Stage 1 cylinder head, 108ºC:
IMG_20220507_162817.jpg

Stage 2 cylinder head, 124ºC:
IMG_20220507_161959.jpg

Stage 2 inlet, 67ºC:
IMG_20220507_162827.jpg

Stage 3 outlet, 108ºC:
IMG_20220507_162855.jpg

Stage 3, after cooling, 39ºC:
IMG_20220507_162902.jpg

Attachments

• 1651974358405.jpeg
    1651974358405.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 45
If you have the cross-over valve, do not operate it while the filter tower is under pressure. I have replaced several of them because of damage from doing so.

From experience, a temp gun is not accurate on shiny surfaces,,,
It's usually ok to use it to compare temps, like inlet and outlet as long as it looks the same and same material,,,
If I want an accurate temp I sometimes will spray paint it black,

Also father away from the object the less accurate

Back
Top Bottom