Bauer OR Coltri!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering the COLTRI MCH16 standard for capacity, availability to a technician, price (R 80,000)Bauer seems just too expensive both initially and subsequent refills etc.. ?

I would shift to the MCH13 instead of the MCH16. It will handle the load for your use but turns slower than the MCH16 and will generate a lot less heat. That translates into a much longer life.
For either one, I suggest changing oil a lot sooner than Coltri puts in the manual. I am a big fan of changing at 100 hours instead of 250. Or changing at 80 hours if pumping Nitrox. The small investment in oil will greatly extend the life of your system.
For automatic features, I suggest automatic condensate drains as well as an automatic high pressure shutdown. I used to recommend bringing in one of the 500 hour service kits, but with the new "Red Head" third stage, you can pop the head off and clean the valves quite easily.
While it doesn't come with them standard, I would also spring for the interstage gauge set. If you do happen to run into a heating or pressure problem, the gauges will let you know where the problem is.
Oh, and the money you will save on shifting to the MCH13, I suggest shifting the MiniTech frame. It will make it a lot easier to get into the system for any maintenance or repairs.

Hope that helps.

Coltri has a far better solution than the MCH13/16 range. Namely the MCH22. With pressure lubrication and 4 cylinders, your looking at far better performance and life span.

xl-140417-183514-mch-36-open-closeup03.jpg

I don't know how it comes out of it compared to Bauer regarding price. But at least look into it.The MCH16 runs a bit strained. Here in northern Europe a lot of divers fill 300 bar, which makes it even worse.

Mch 22/30/36 open - Aerotecnica Coltri compressors

While this is a beautiful machine and will definitely provide great service for a LONG time, it is pretty much overkill for the number of fills at this resort. At 10-20 fills per day, the 14 CFM version (the single phase one) would only run about two hours a day max.

Looks a lot like a Bauer. By the way, I've got one of those antiquated, old technology, K14's in my garage. Can jam as many cylinders in a stretch as I can throw at it in the 95 degree summers temps here in Florida. I've owned half a dozen Bauer's and have never had a problem beyond basic maintenance.

I can't believe you are running a compressor in an air conditioned sealed area. all the heat must go somewhere and the noise. Your AC bill will be a little high if it can even keep up with it.

I am in a remote location, the only compressors available here are coltri. I have an MCH -16 as well as a Bauer k-14.
Get what you can support locally, the coltris, despite their limitations are good machines.
The Bauers a little nicer. From what you describe as your requirements the coltris will last for many years. I have had mine for 6 with just valve and oil changes.
I can get parts for the colti in country in 24 hours. Bauer parts take a week or more. For your use, and if budget is an issue 2x mch-13`s, as Ray said.
I have seen the coltri mch-16 run for thousands of hours with basic maintenance in the tropics and have had no trouble with mine. You can get them set up with pressurized oil system, and larger filtration.
No way your A.C. is gonna keep up with the heat out put from the compressor unless the load was designed into the a.c. system.
You simply must have redundancy. (2 compressors)
My coltri is gas powered for when the electric is out, our main compressor is the Bauer (On rare occasions we need to run both). We repack all of our filters for pennies, and always pass air tests. Both compressors brought second hand with import costs and taxes from e-bay for less then $7,000.
I would not mess with Iain, but my k-14 was put together by Bauer usa in 1994. Says so on the data plate. All parts I have ever needed are available from Bauer, and August Industries has a mountain of stuff for them. Iain, I think you need to repost your install list to shut fan boy up, it was beautiful the last time you did it.

Last edited:
Dive we think alike. I would guess it's because we have nothing to sell or gain from honest advise gained from experience.

Back
Top Bottom