BC Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny you mention a BC that looks like a SMB. As I browse through Craigslist I often see a ton of old gear and some of these older BC's like you describe and I joke to myself, "That's a lift bag, not a BC!" Safety orange and all. Lol.

It makes you wonder what standard diving equipment will function/look like in the future. Today's rebreathers?

Here's an example.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/spo/5304947938.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 197
Just going to add my two cents.... Scubaboard is very BP/W heavy forum, there is nothing wrong with that. I use a back inflate BCD and like the trim characteristics of it. However, you were saying you plan on doing dive travel, so you should keep in mind that a back plate typically made of steel or aluminum. If you are going to be primarily a vacation diver (or even with a 50/50 split) you should focus on a gear that is airline friendly regarding weight.

When you really get out diving you will see that most divers are still using a traditional BCD, and there are several interpretations of where the buoyancy can sit when you are on the surface (generally underwater you want it behind you). I remember when the original back inflates came out they were called "butterflies" and were preferred by photographers because they didn't clutter up your model's cleavage (nothing wrong there :) ), but people did worry that an unconscious diver's natural position on the surface would be face down.

The type of diving you are going to do should dictate the type of gear. You have lots of good wreck diving near NY/NJ and with the heavy exposure suits a either BP/W or back inflate BCD would be good. Do you want to have integrated weights? I like to have some weight on a belt and some in my BCD, but I am a big guy and need a lot. If you are going to dive dry, you will need more than most integrated systems can hold.

The harness only idea is the way some old timers were taught and in a purist world will work... with a lot of attention to detail. As a newbie, you are going have a lot to pay attention to, so you might play around with that in the future, but nothing poops on a dive like being under weighted for the dive or over weighted. The BCD or BP/W just gives you the ability to add or drop what should be small amounts of buoyancy to make the dive more pleasurable. So I think a some type of buoyancy control is a good place to start.

Diving is two things: a pleasant leisure activity and a hole in the water into which you cast your money. You may decide to change half or all of your gear out after the first few seasons because as other have pointed out they should have (or shouldn't have) listened to someone else. If you have an experience friend that you trust and is doing the types of dives that interest you, borrow his gear and look what he and others are doing and using. Do go to the LDS and see what they say (yes they are going to try to sell you stuff- its their job), but they also have a vested interest in matching you with the gear that is right for you, so you become a loyal customer. And by the way, don't shop there and buy on line, that is just skeevey. If you see a price on line, give them a chance to match it or beat it, they often will.

This is pretty much what my first purchased BCD was. The second picture is for the Co2 cartridge that you were supposed to have in case the power infiltrator failed (talk about belt AND suspenders). The problem with these were that without a crotch strap they would lift up by your armpits when on the surface. Not the perfect solution, but a improvement over the old horse collar style. Ultimately they were evolving from the old air force May Wests that divers wore to allow them to rest on the surface (hence the CO2 cartridge). When I was trained we had one pool session (out of 12) to practice with an oral inflate horse collar BC. I didn't have an LP hose on my reg until I bought that and I didn't have an octopus until my second or third year of diving. Computers and safety stops unknown.
s-l1600.jpgs-l1601.jpg

Just going to add my two cents.... Scubaboard is very BP/W heavy forum, there is nothing wrong with that. I use a back inflate BCD and like the trim characteristics of it. However, you were saying you plan on doing dive travel, so you should keep in mind that a back plate typically made of steel or aluminum. If you are going to be primarily a vacation diver (or even with a 50/50 split) you should focus on a gear that is airline friendly regarding weight.
A small setup from DSS, or the xdeep ghost for instance, probably packs lighter and smaller than many "conventional bcds" out there. (2.3 kg for the ghost)

but people did worry that an unconscious diver's natural position on the surface would be face down.
And some still worry about it, but there's one detail you're not mentionning: there's hardly any scuba bcd that is considered a life jacket (and thus guarantees the head up position).

The type of diving you are going to do should dictate the type of gear. You have lots of good wreck diving near NY/NJ and with the heavy exposure suits a either BP/W or back inflate BCD would be good. Do you want to have integrated weights? I like to have some weight on a belt and some in my BCD, but I am a big guy and need a lot. If you are going to dive dry, you will need more than most integrated systems can hold.
Don't get that point, you can put weight pockets on probably all bpw setups... Most integrated systems I've seen would hold more than what I'd be comfortable to have in my bcd.

A small setup from DSS, or the xdeep ghost for instance, probably packs lighter and smaller than many "conventional bcds" out there. (2.3 kg for the ghost)

And some still worry about it, but there's one detail you're not mentionning: there's hardly any scuba bcd that is considered a life jacket (and thus guarantees the head up position).

Don't get that point, you can put weight pockets on probably all bpw setups... Most integrated systems I've seen would hold more than what I'd be comfortable to have in my bcd.
Someone else mentioned the concern about being face down, I remembered it as a concern when they first came out, so I mentioned it. You are right, but the origins of BCDs come from the old May Wests. Really BCDs and dive computers are the only to components that have changed significantly in function since 1980. A lot of the gear has gotten nicer (my 1980 1/4in farmer john was more exercise than the dive itself), but I can use my 1980 sherwood regulator and gauges and no one would notice they are 35 years old.

I only mentioned weight integration because the thread is about selecting a first BCD and Weight integration is a feature to consider....

A slightly different perspective. Buy the BC or BP/W that you want without regard to whether or not it is "travel friendly" I only have a stainless steel backplate with a heavy duty wing and I have never had to pay extra of overweight charges. Of course, I don't travel with extensive photo gear, but if you are a new diver, you don't want to get into photography yet

What's a BP/W? The harness idea sounds good.

dive shops seem to not train people in OW what a BPW is, guess they don't inform their students of what they don't sell, shame....

For what it's worth, my steel plate and either 17, or 25, pound wings are both lighter and more compact (for travel) than the jacket BC (Genesis) I had. (The 30 pound wing I had but didn't like was also.) Plus they all have less natural buoyancy so I use less weight than I did when using the jacket and I can break them up across multiple bags, if necessary, or more easily carry them on so travel shouldn't be a concern either way.

Buy the BC you want and that you're comfortable diving, regardless of whether you're going to travel with it or not.

I will second that "don't think bp/w are heavier than jacket bcd" sentiment. My Aluminium plate with 23lb wing and full steel buckles weighs less than my previous mares dragon and of course is much less buoyant and packs MUCH better in a suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom