BC diving reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
we 'mericans were not welcome in PR.

You're not welcome in Iraq, either! :D Not that you're in any great hurry to visit either place, anyhow!

BTW, Prince Rupert would be way too far for a five-day trip anyhow. I think it would probably take five days to drive there comfortably from Vancouver - it's 10 hours to Prince George and I believe that's only half way. PR is sometimes fondly referred to as the "armpit of BC" - no offense to anyone who loves it there...

Actually it is 8 to PG and then 8 to PR, but I was more thinking the ferry option from the island... BTW, I would rather live up in the armpit than down in the a$$#@le (lower mainland or lower rainland)...:D

It took me 10 hours to drive to Prince George (from the crime and smog infested Lower Mainland), in a sports car, and I got a speeding ticket. So I wasn't going exactly slow... Of course, I think that was before the Coquihalla was built. But still, 8 hours? I guess for aliens who don't need to pee or eat...

As for the ferry option from Van. Island to PG, what's the price these days - about $400, or more, depending on the vehicle and passengers?

Dougd, if you are set on visiting the Sunshine Coast, the ferry corporation offers a circle tour that goes from Vancouver, up the Sunshine coast to Powell River, over to Campbell River, and then back to Vancouver. If you had time for something like that, you could check out both sides of the water. Of course, you'd be moving every day. (Definitely go with Porpoise Bay Charters that others here have recommended - you may want to reserve as they are often full.) Either way, you'll need ferry information - there's only one public ferry company:

www.bcferries.bc.ca

Heck I could lay out the times between locations if you really want. Been doing that drive way too much in my past, but my lunches do consist of Subway on the run. In eight hours I can be on the Iron Workers Memorial bridge, without a speeding ticket and in my truck. The Coq is not bad in the summer considering it allows you to get past the tourists easier, but I find the canyon kinda fun. Must be the F1 driver comming out in me on those corners.:D

dougd,

Now that you have a good understanding of BC drive times and unpleasentries of Alaska/BC fishing disputes, where did you end up going (or deciding to go)?

I hope that you found what you were looking for. I think that you will find (found) that people in BC are very welcoming and will go out of their way to ensure that you enjoy your vacation in BC (even for Americans:D ). I am an American working in Vancouver myself, and I have not been to a better or nicer place in my life. The people and landscape are fantastic!! There are so many things to do here it boggles my mind. As far as Sunshine Coast vs. East Vancouver Island goes, they are both good. It is difficult to beat the Port Hardy area near the tip of Vancouver Island. In the region it is the preferred spot, but there are gems all over (which you likely found or are soon to find out). Have fun!

Cheers,

Jimi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom