BC for a short torso.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue32

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing a BC. I say process because that's what it's been like trying to find the right one. I'm 5'1, 125lbs and I have a very short torso. When I find one that fits my torso, it doesn't go around me in the front. The ones that go around the front are too long in the torso and ride up on me. And I hate velcro cummerbunds, they snag my hyperstretch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm only an inch taller than you. I use a DiveRite TransPac II. Fits absolutely perfect!

The LDS assembles it from modular pieces... backpack, shoulder straps, cumberbund. It comes with standard with a "padded Tek cumberbund" that has NO VELCRO. I wear a 7mm henderson hyperstretch jumpsuit, so I know what you mean. My TP II hasn't snagged my wetsuit and because it fits snugly and doesn't move around, I don't get any of those pills forming either.

I also like the fact that it has two tank straps with ss cam band buckles and a ss buckle on the waist strap.

Zeagle back inflate BCs are modular too, but I just didn't like the "rip cord" release on the integrated weight pockets. You can buy removable integrated weight pockets separately for the TP II. I use them and like the way they work. I also like the zipper on top of the pockets that make it easy to insert/remove the weights without wearing out the velcro on the quick release.

Good luck. Don't stop until you find the BC that fits and feels right for you.

Thanks ScubaFishee, I'll check that out. :)

You could also look at the SeaQuest Diva models. I'm an inch taller than you and extremely short-waisted. I couldn't find any of the "unisex" (read: dive shop wants to sell you a mens' model becuase they don't stock womens' BCs) models to fit me. I have a Diva QD and it fits well. If I had it to do again, I would probably spend the extra money and get the Diva LX, which has more space in the pockets and more D rings (among other things).

Let us know what you decide!

I found that quite frequently when I would find a BC that I "thought" fit, it would be too long in the torso and hit at just the wrong place to make it uncomfortable. I learned at that point that many of the LDS around me only carried mediums. When I finally went to a shop that had a small, I realized that is was simply the difference between the med and small that made the difference. Although I bought and love the DIVA, I found that the Libra fit better in the torso after I tried it in small. I think its just personal preference and body shape.

Thanks for the advice ya'll. I had decided on the Zeagle Zena untill my LDS convinced me that back inflates were too hard to handle on the surface in the ocean where there are currents and turf present. So I decided on the Aqua Lung Elan. I got it for half price. It fits great except for the cummerbund is too big. My LDS told me I could easily have it altered by a cobbler. (I thought that was a dessert) Well, cobblers are kinda hard to find these days. (unless you ask Sara Lee) Hopefully I can find someone to sew it for me (a tailor?) Other than that, I think it will work fine. :wink:

Hi, I have been diving with a Libra BC and have read your posts. Although this is supposedly the "best selling BC" in the US - I would not recommend it. It has only one tank strap. Nothing else to hold it in. My tank has fallen out of it a lot, and in one case the buckle actually came undone. Had I not had someone helping me on to the boat I don't even want to think about what would have happened at that point.

Also, I wanted to piont out that there are BC's like Halcyon's system that have the nylon strap that you configure. That way it can fit any body shape and type. If a jacket-style that fits is hard to find, you might want to try the ones with backplate and harness. Plus, these types have less bouyancy to worry about - which means less lead in the belt! That is my goal!:bounce:

Dblmc
I’ve been diving in my new Libra quite a lot and my husband has a balance the only time we had tank slippage was the first time we went out, the tank strap had not been wet and my husband’s tank buckle was not treaded right but that was our fault for not getting it wet before we tightened to the tank and not checking the buckle treading before we started. Now we do a jump test before we go down. Never had a problem with the buckle maybe you had the webbing caught when you closed it. We always do a tug test on the buckles before we dive. Just my experiences

Blue32

Here is some good advice. Don't always believe what the LDS says about some of the equipment. It is true that a back inflate takes some getting used to,but, "too hard to handle on the surface" is purley nonsense.

And that is not IMHO just facts.

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom