BC Inflator Hose Won't Disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theatis:
I have a dive planned for tomorrow morning (last dive of NAUI Master course!) and i'm putting my equipment together right now and for some reason my BC inflator hose won't disconnect unless i yank on it with all my strength.

I tried it a few times now and can't figure out what's causing this. I put the hose in place, it goes on easily and then won't come off. I tried it both pressurized and unpressurized; under pressure it's a little bit more difficult to disconnect but both ways it's definitely problematic. When the hose is off the inflator, the retaining mechanism moves just fine. I also can't see anything wrong with the inflator itself.

The equipment is clean and there is absolutely no rust or anything else that is visibly suspicious. The hose is the one that came stock with my DSS setup and has about 50 dives on it. I've never experienced any problem either with the hose or the inflator and i last dove the setup last week.

I really don't know how to figure this out. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

theatis,

Sounds to me like you have some debrie in the quick disconnect, sand or silt probably. As others have stated, something is keeping one of more of the ball bearings from fully retracting when the knurled sleeve is pulled back.

Also check to make sure you can fully retract the knurled sleeve. Remove the "hose hat" and verify that the knurled sleeve is all the way back against the stop when you try to remove the hose from the inflator.

I'd try squirting some lube between the sleeve and the inner collar and working the QD on and off the inflator nipple. Just sliding the sleeve back and forth might not do it.

As a last resort you can pull off the circlip on the front of the QD and the spring and ball bearings will all fall out. If you choose to do this pick a nice clean area, do it over a clean rag on a cookie sheet so you can find all the parts.

After cleaning use some thick grease to keep the ball bearings in the holes while the knurled sleeve and spring are replaced.

If you can't make it work smoothly don't use it!

Use a pliers, put force on the connection point, and unscrew the hole thing. Replace the hose, and the inflator house nipple.

I had the experience of having both a stuck inflator and a suck inflator hose on a crappy rental. It really sucked. At least you'll be expecting it.

ShakaZulu:
Use a pliers, put force on the connection point, and unscrew the hole thing. Replace the hose, and the inflator house nipple.

Not sure I follow here. Why change the nipple? If it the nipple is in good condition and the hose can be rremoved?

Tobin

Thanks Tobin for the detailed instructions. I'll definitely try this. If i still can't get it to work as it did before i'll go manual.

Is it getting stuck on the zip tie that holds the inflator to the corrugated hose?

theatis:
I guess my major concern is: if i'm unable to fix this or find another hose (maybe someone will have a spare tomorrow, this teaches me that i SHOULD have a spare myself) should i not do the dive? What would you do?

I would do the dive. I've never experienced a stuck inflator or inflator leak first hand, though I've seen it happen, but if you experience a small leak into the wing, then you can just keep dumping the extra gas. If you experience a fast leak, then I'm told that you can pinch the hose to slow it down and close the valve to kill it. Then either disconnect it if you can or just finish the dive by feathering the valve to take breathes as necessary.

Soaking in white vinegar... a good rinse in fresh water... drying it with compressed air... and give it a few drops of WD40... and in most cases it glides again smoothly.

Well, i'm back and still alive! Tobin's suggestion worked great, i'll take extra care in cleaning it today and recheck it after it dries. But it does seem to work as new so it was probably some minor debris causing one of the ball bearings to stick when engaged. Even so, i plan on replacing it with my regulator service due this month.

Thanks again for all the insight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom