BC inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadeep1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it ok to use the pull method, in other words pulling on the inflator and using the internal cable to release air from bc or is it best to hold the inflator hose up above you and push release button on inflator valve? Just wondering if it is hard on the dump valve on shoulder by using the pull method all the time.

neither.
It is called an inflator for a reason....

Use the lower dump valves when you are diving in proper trim, they are the best to use. When you are ascending and vertical you only need to raise the inflator valve to where it is parallel to the horizon to dump air. Raising it above your head puts undue stress on the hoses and is a waste of effort. Pull dumps are a great way to tear a hole in your BC bladder

Today I had a light in my left hand and a camera in my right. Much easier to give a small tug on the inflator hose to release a small amount of air if needed. I do this all the time. I have now done it way over a 1,000 times on my current BCD with no problems. I also get everything checked over at least once a year.

neither.
It is called an inflator for a reason....

Use the lower dump valves when you are diving in proper trim, they are the best to use. When you are ascending and vertical you only need to raise the inflator valve to where it is parallel to the horizon to dump air. Raising it above your head puts undue stress on the hoses and is a waste of effort. Pull dumps are a great way to tear a hole in your BC bladder
My expired Sea Quest Spectum 2 did not come with an dump valve but it did come with an remote dump and the power inflator.
I still prefer to use the power inflator over the dump valve any time in rec or tec dive.

Is it ok to use the pull method, in other words pulling on the inflator and using the internal cable to release air from bc or is it best to hold the inflator hose up above you and push release button on inflator valve? Just wondering if it is hard on the dump valve on shoulder by using the pull method all the time.

Well the manufacturer provided it so one would assume it is suitable for use. Personally, when I had one I never used it much preferring the butt dump.I never liked tugging against the hose mount and I feel I have much better control with the butt dump string in my hand.

If you are not ascending horizontally and for the final feet hold the inflater up and use the button. The higher you hold the outlet the greater the pressure differential and the faster it will vent. In most situations anything above the air cell will suffice.

Yes. It is okay to use the inflator to dump air in your BC. Is it best to use the Alternate inflator regulator to release air? Yes. I believe it is more controllable. Is there a right or wrong answer? No. In the case of a rapid assent or unable to reach one or the other or your pressure release options like the rear pressure release, it is certainly acceptable to do whatever stops/slows your assent in order that you remain safe. Use what tool is most readily available to achieve your safest situation.

As a photographer, I use it all the time. I am mostly horizontal, but a little heads up. With my camera in my right hand. My left hand is free to tug. I have not yet torn an inflator hose off of my BCD. I must not be pulling hard enough? I do not believe I have ever used my butt dump. Do what works for you. Safety and efficiency eventually win out over style?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom