BC manufacturers must be Raking it in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Tobin had a manufacturing process that would "crank out 4000 wings per day', he would have to watch it carefully. Let it run just a little too long, and he would manufacture the ENTIRE WORLDS ANNUAL SUPPLY of wings in very short order.

The scuba industry simply has no volume against which to ammortize the opportunity and tooling/fixture cost. As a result, we will ALWAYS have to have a higher burden on EACH scuba item manufactured.

Phil Ellis

I agree.

The challenge I face everyday is to match demand (market size) with the appropriate level of manufacturing technology.

It's no small task to produce the goods we do in the volumes the market demands.

Our solution has been to be vertically integrated. We make almost 100% of what we sell.

All injection molds are designed and produced in house, and the parts are molded in house also.

Same for our Backplates, all in house. All required tooling and apparatus is also produced in house.

Same for our Wings. Same for the harnesses, etc.

Tobin

If Tobin had a manufacturing process that would "crank out 4000 wings per day', he would have to watch it carefully. Let it run just a little too long, and he would manufacture the ENTIRE WORLDS ANNUAL SUPPLY of wings in very short order.

The scuba industry simply has no volume against which to ammortize the opportunity and tooling/fixture cost. As a result, we will ALWAYS have to have a higher burden on EACH scuba item manufactured.

Phil Ellis

So why do we have so many "manufacturers" most making gear that is basically indistinguishable from anothers except by the imprinted name?

Even backplates can be expensive until you look at all the costs for the equipment to make them. Where I work I was able to make a SS backplate from scratch for only the cost of the stainless steel sheet metal.
But if I was going to manufacture them I would need to buy a CNC punch machine, a shear, a form die and press, a building for all this, labor, etc. If I could sell 1000 plates per day the cost would be much cheaper then what they sell for now, but the current demand is much lower.

Even backplates can be expensive until you look at all the costs for the equipment to make them. Where I work I was able to make a SS backplate from scratch for only the cost of the stainless steel sheet metal.
But if I was going to manufacture them I would need to buy a CNC punch machine, a shear, a form die and press, a building for all this, labor, etc. If I could sell 1000 plates per day the cost would be much cheaper then what they sell for now, but the current demand is much lower.

I agree, I've been looking at making an Al and SS backplate for myself here at work, using our CNC laser and CNC brake press. Wanna guess how much a CNC laser costs? That's a lot of overhead to account for.

Hello hello, new to scuba

.. design virtually unchanged in 30 years...

So you're new to scuba, yet you know that a BC hasn't changed in 30 years? Exactly how would you know that? You watched some old TV shows?

Take it from somebody who actually did dive 30 years ago. BC's have changed.

I agree, I've been looking at making an Al and SS backplate for myself here at work, using our CNC laser and CNC brake press. Wanna guess how much a CNC laser costs? That's a lot of overhead to account for.

+ The cam software to design the plate (with annual maintenance ) $5-10K
+ The cad software to program the laser (with annual maintenance)$10-20K

+ The press brake (60-100 ton cnc) $50-150K
+ the press brake tooling $1000-4000

+ the Deburring Equipment $250 - 25,000 (depends on how serious you are)

+ The shear to prep the material before you cut it $25-35K

Tobin

So you're new to scuba, yet you know that a BC hasn't changed in 30 years? Exactly how would you know that? You watched some old TV shows?

Take it from somebody who actually did dive 30 years ago. BC's have changed.

perhaps you missed my "virtually" disclaimer?

yes most of the inflation is in the back/sides now... Revolutionary..., musta cost at least 30k in R&D I suspect....

it looks like there are too many manufacturers that are buying their own "injection molding pieces" and whatnot... instead of each one buying all the equiptment they need to make the whole enchilada maybe 3-5 companies oughta get together an each one make 1 or 2 pieces but increase production by X-fold.

Yeah if I personally wanted to make BCD's for sale and had to buy all that stuff and only sold a limited amount I can see how I would have to price them inordinately high.

+ The cam software to design the plate (with annual maintenance ) $5-10K
+ The cad software to program the laser (with annual maintenance)$10-20K

+ The press brake (60-100 ton cnc) $50-150K
+ the press brake tooling $1000-4000

+ the Deburring Equipment $250 - 25,000 (depends on how serious you are)

+ The shear to prep the material before you cut it $25-35K

Tobin

You hit the nail on the head right there. It's one thing for me to make one or two for my own use since I am an engineer here, and will work out the design and programming myself, and fit it in with other things we're cutting at that particular time, since I can wait as long as we need, but there is very obviously a lot more to deal with than just the material cost. I'm glad you're running a business doing dive gear, because I wouldn't want to try to make a run at it myself after getting involved with pricing of our products here.

P.S. I didn't realize you did all your injection moulding and die making in house. You must have a hell of a facility there. If I'm ever in the area, is there any chance of a tour?

Jim

perhaps you missed my "virtually" disclaimer?

yes most of the inflation is in the back/sides now... Revolutionary..., musta cost at least 30k in R&D I suspect....

it looks like there are too many manufacturers that are buying their own "injection molding pieces" and whatnot... instead of each one buying all the equiptment they need to make the whole enchilada maybe 3-5 companies oughta get together an each one make 1 or 2 pieces but increase production by X-fold.

Yeah if I personally wanted to make BCD's for sale and had to buy all that stuff and only sold a limited amount I can see how I would have to price them inordinately high.

Why doesn't Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota all help each other out. Maybe Honda can cast blocks, while GM makes everyone's suspensions, Toyota can handle the Chassis, Ford can do all the sheet metal stamping, and Chrysler can handle wiring harnesses for them all.

If the SCUBA manufacturer's got together and somehow increased production X-fold, there would be warehouses upon warehouses full of excess BCD's. As it's already been pointed out, the production level is low because the demand is low. If the demand was high, then so would production.

Back
Top Bottom