BC manufacturers must be Raking it in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lower your carbon footprint and leave all that junk in the store, return to minimalism, the new wave in diving :eyebrow:.
N

I like that! Can I put that in my tag line? :)

The BC jacket, back inflate jackets with all of the doodads are a huge profit center for the industry which is why they are pushed and pushed and pushed so hard.

I agree that there are some BC's that are a genuine nightmare, and I'm not here to defend these designs.

I would ask what proof you have to support your claims above.

As long as competition exists, and there are currently 10+ well known BC brand names, there is certainly competition. If one brand could supply the equivalent of the $700 "double throw down" BC for say $500, or $400 they would do it, and take market share.

To believe otherwise requires a conspiracy among all the players to artificially maintain high prices.

Again I'll ask, if the real costs of producing a $700 BC is actually less than $100 as some here have alleged, why aren't there more producers entering the market?

Tobin

Cool, as I have told you before and I will tell you again to remind you, I don't run my life or my thoughts to please you, deal with it. If you don't like what I say, tough. It is a bag of air dude, all the rest is fluff.

Lower your carbon footprint and leave all that junk in the store, return to minimalism, the new wave in diving

N

The wagon wheel business is pretty much dead in the United States, because there isn't much demand for wagon wheels.

Phil Ellis

Not by a long shot. There may be more of a wagon weel business in this country than you think. There are a wide range of wagons, carts, carriages, weels, harness and accessories available from quite a few sources.

While horse and carriage is no longer our main transportation, there are carriages working city streets, carriage businesses that cator to wedings or other occasions. There are LOTS of horses and many of those that own them just like to drive in addition to or instead of riding. There are also lots of show horses, many classes of which show pulling carts, carriages or wagons. Then there are the draft horse and other team pulling and driving competitions. There are actually quite a few people who use horses for work around farms and ranches. Probably the best example of that are groups like the Amish but there are others. There is probably a wider range of wagons, carts and carriage types avalable commercially now than ever before.

PhilEllis:
If your issue is that people aren't trained well enough to suit you, you need to understand that most divers are trained exactly how they want to be. It doesn't much matter how I want them trained, or how you want them trained...they will get trained how THEY want to be trained. The two weekend class is not an invention of PADI, or NAUI, or SSI, or SDI....it is a response to what new divers want. The average couple walking into my store to learn to dive on their next cruise vacation would bolt if we told them that the training process was four weeks. They don't want to be the kind of diver that many here on scubaboard strive to be. They want quick.
In point of fact the current course structure that all agencies have, in the end, either accepted or been forced to adopt by competitive considerations was the invention and promulgation of PADI.

Cool, as I have told you before and I will tell you again to remind you, I don't run my life or my thoughts to please you, deal with it. If you don't like what I say, tough. It is a bag of air dude, all the rest is fluff.

Lower your carbon footprint and leave all that junk in the store, return to minimalism, the new wave in diving

N

Nemrod,

As usual you can't offer any support for your opinions.

Tobin

Wimp! You're just getting soft because you don't have to go find rocks to hold as your tank gets lighter. :D

We have some 30+ year old stuff around the shop in the "museum" section. I'm not sure I'd even have the nerve to try it in the pool.

OTOH, I have a SCUBAPro Mk1 that I use on a regular basis.

Terry

So are you still using the rocks?

Not by a long shot. There may be more of a wagon weel business in this country than you think. There are a wide range of wagons, carts, carriages, weels, harness and accessories available from quite a few sources.

While horse and carriage is no longer our main transportation, there are carriages working city streets, carriage businesses that cator to wedings or other occasions. There are LOTS of horses and many of those that own them just like to drive in addition to or instead of riding. There are also lots of show horses, many classes of which show pulling carts, carriages or wagons. Then there are the draft horse and other team pulling and driving competitions. There are actually quite a few people who use horses for work around farms and ranches. Probably the best example of that are groups like the Amish but there are others. There is probably a wider range of wagons, carts and carriage types avalable commercially now than ever before.

Farriers know their wagon wheels.........

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom