BC snaps,D rings, pockets: why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabeachboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Scuba Board Pals????

I have two BCs.
Both are fairly new.
Both have snaps, D rings, pockets, zippers, and such everywhere.
I never use any of the stuff when diving.
When I was in the Military the Navy Divers had simple BC, super tuff, no pockets, D rings, labels, or such BS.
Does anyone else and think BCs have way to much showroom stuff on them.

I have considered glueing the zippers closed and removing most of the D rings.

Input is apreciated.

MY BCs are Sea Quest, and Genesis both XXL.

Having not been in the military, I am going to make a guess here that the needs of military BCs are very different than the needs of a recreational diver.

Well I need a place to clip my console off as well as a light or 2 depending on the dive and then there is the DSMB & spool. Oh yea my whistle, alternate second stage holder and sometimes a catch bag get attached too. My pockets are not very utilized but I do keep a slate in there and if I don't have the catch bag I'll tuck golf balls in the pockets.

All in all the rings are much more important to me than the pockets.

Where do you put your accessories?

Pete

For some dives you don't need to carry much toys in pockets or on rings. For others you should have places to store or clip them. So I guess it depends on your dives. Boat diving in the open sea? Where's the mirror going to be stored?

Most of today's jacket style BCs have all kinds of stupid dangly crap all over them in an attempt to sell people cheap stuff they don't need.

Go here to read about a good equipment config.

The "hog rig" or "hogarthian" gear setup is a backplate with webbing and 5 d-rings, each in a specific location. This is attached to a wing that is your BC. Simple and bulletproof.

DeepSeaSupply makes great gear that sounds like it's right up your alley.

After starting with a jacket BC with all the gadgets, I am happy to be in my very very simple, streamlined BP/W. I just added a pocket to my belt until I setup pockets on my wetsuit. Everything is secured nicely on my Hog Harness. I feel very free to move unlike my previous set up. At this point, this works for me and the type of diving I want to do. I also like the crotch strap, it helps hold the entire rig on and in place, and the crotch D ring is a great place to attatch a reel and other items when trying to work with my hands. I am getting into photography, so having little inhibiiting me will be a great assett.
Salvo Supply - 36 lb. Single AL System

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Cummerbund zip pocket - Metal mirror, dive tables, coiled buddy/jon line.

Left pocket - digital camera - with lanyard clipped off to left breast d-ring.

Right pocket - medium dive light.

Left lower breast d-ring - clip off console

Right breast d-ring - clip off octopus.

Hip d-rings - clip off SMB and spool or reel (depends on dive).

Occasionally a pony bottle is clipped between breast and hip d-rings.

Its nice having a pocket to put your gloves, sausage, and torch in. D rings are good for a whistle and octi holder. I dont really see them getting in the way ever so i dont complain about the ones i dont use.

I have a cargo pouch sewn on my drysuit leg, in which I keep my surface marker buoy, my 150 ft spool, and my back-up mask. I have not yet sewn cargo pockets onto my wetsuits as well, but I plan to do so soon, before my next warm water dive trip. These make other pouches such as on vests or B/Cs unnecessary.

I have 4 D-rings on my hog (Hogarthian) harness, and one D-ring on the front of my crotch strap.

I use the D-ring on my crotch strap to attach to my diver propulsion vehicle (scooter) so that it can pull me, rather than straining my arms as with some other models.

My right shoulder-strap D-ring holds the bulb portion of my cannister light with a bolt snap. Or I can use it for my second deco bottle whenever I have 2 such bottles with me.

My left shoulder-strap D-ring holds my fist deco bottle OR my submersible pressure gauge attached to a bolt snap.

My two hip D-rings each is the end connection for my two deco bottles. If I am not wearing deco bottles, then these are usually empty.

The left side D-rings are also where I will clip my submersible pressure gauge as well. If I am diving with twin tanks, I clip the SPG to the left hip D-ring. However if I am diving with one tank, I clip it to the left shoulder D-ring. The reason is that a twin-tank dive is guided more by your timer/clock, whereas a single tank dive is guided more by your SPG, and it is easier to see and monitor when connected to your left shoulder strap than when connected to your left hip D-ring.

Those are my thoughts on pouches and D-rings.

As PACO earlier said, naval/military divers do not have the same needs or uses for pouches or D-rings. They are not out taking photos or riding around with DPVs enjoying the undersea scenery. They are instead advancing along an azimuth of attack with the water as their avenue of approach to ambush and destroy an enemy target. If they deployed an SMB or shined a light, this would give their position away. And if they used open circuit scuba rather than rebreathers, this would also give their position away. Totally different thing altogether.

Conversely, naval/military gear would be unsuitable for civilian sport diving purposes as well.

Hey Scuba Board Pals????

I have considered glueing the zippers closed and removing most of the D rings.

Perhaps you might consider just not using those pockets and D-rings ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom