BCD advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about a new bcd
My current bcd is a ten year old scubapro nighthawk. It seems to be in good shape with the exception of the front chest buckles size adjustment slip enough that I don’t even snug them up. Ive been told they will fix them free of charge but for the life of me I can’t get it sent in for fear of it not coming back in case I get to squeeze in a dive. Oddly I haven’t been in the water since March Work continued to get in the way this year.

I like this bcd however it’s laking d rings and its big and heavy. Seems when I fly Ive never got enough room or to much weight every once and cubic inch has value. I also do a lot of drift diving and it seems we spend a bit of time on the surface I wonder if a back inflate bcd is right or wrong. Ive never dove with anything else. I certified in this bcd. Its hard to try other gear but that might change in two years as I move into my semi retirement and maybe I should put it off until then but I have been thinking about this for a while.

I also think the durability of my current bcd is probably as good as you can get am I headed the wrong way we are hard on equipment. I hunt and lobster dive and am on and off a lot of different boats often times our gear is drug over the side and some of my future travels will include locations in remote areas where it’s handled by other people who often treat gear pretty hard.

My sons got a Hollis that is very compact lots of drings but it doesn’t have the abuility to carry enough weight for me. Would work with a belt but Ive liked my scubapro in this area. But his Hollis is to small for me maybe in a large or xl it would have enough room for my weight needs. I dive with a steel tank when I can but often rental tanks are aluminum requires me to carry more weight. Im 210 pounds and wear thicker wetsuits to. Seems like the reviews on travel BCD’s are all different as well.

Thanks and happy holidays to you all

Halcyon makes a great bcd. I have the eclipse. You can get one with a SS backplate to save you adding some of your weights to it and the location of the backplate makes the weight evenly distributed. The wing style feels very nice in the water.

A ten year old BCD with only 1-24 dives? Did you buy it new or second end?

If you travel for vacation dive, I would take a "light" BCD but one that has 2 belts arounf the tank.

I would also not consider a backplate for leisure open sea water, even if I agree that they are better underwater, they are a pain at the surface while weaiting for the boat to retrive you.

remember when we are talking about plates that we are comparing against a Nighthawk which is about 9lbs though. A rigged ss bp/w is about 10lbs, but will allow him to take 6-8lbs off of his weight belt as well as pack flatter....

As mentioned Halcyon makes incredible gear, however it is all VERY expensive and their single tank rigs require a STA which adds weight/bulk to the rig for travel. There are more economical options out there that are built to similar quality, but pack smaller/lighter so represent a better value.

@lowlysubaruguy how tall are you, and how much weight do you normally wear?

Take a look at the Scubapro Litehawk. Great travel BC, could get 20 lbs of weight between the two trim pockets and the two accessory pouches, has a double tank strap, and the quality is excellent. After taking a trip with mine, I came home and sold my SP Seahawk.

Sorry its been hectic last few days. My only goal here is to reduce weight and space in my travel bag. Short of that I can add a couple of D rings to my Nighthawk and never bat an eye.

Im 5’8” 200 pounds do a variety of recreational tourist diving and quite a bit of lobster and spearfishing type diving. I wear a 3mm or 5/4 wetsuit for my travelling type diving. Normally with an aluminum tank I need 16 to pounds to let me anchor tight to the bottom when im dealing with lobster or a fish ive speared especially in current. 14 is plenty for sightseeing type dives.

Back
Top Bottom