• Cressi

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • ScubaPro

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KawabungaDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
**** I ADDED SCUBAPRO SINCE IT WAS MENTION SEVERAL TIMES IN CASE YOU VOTED OTHER ****

Good morning all,

I have a rookie decision to make here and I needed some input.

I am trying to decide on a BC and there are so many options. I think I definitely want to go with a back inflate since that seem to me the way most people go. The ones I have narrowed it down to are the Apeks Black Ice, the New Aqualung Dimension (without the i3), the Tusa X Wing and the Zeagle Stiletto. I know i haven't narrowed it down much but out of the 1,000 that are out there these seemed the most appealing to me. I even thought about the SEAC Sherpa but my main concern with that on is that none of my local dive shops carry SEAC so I did not want to run into any servicing issues.

Now I know what you all thinking BACK PLATE AND WING :) but I'm not there yet, I would really like to start out with a standard BC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if any of you have any of the above mentioned BCs.

I know the Zeagle comes very highly recommended on this forum but I really don't see whats so special about it, but I would really like to hear some pros and cons on any of these.

O, and I guess I should mention I will mostly be diving in warm waters recreationally.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just purchased an AQ axiom without the i3 inflation, it's what I rented for my first dozen dives and it fit me well and I liked it. That's probably what matters most, getting one that fits you well and you are comfortable with in the water.

What have you been using when renting gear?

But rumor has it the only correct choice is a BP/W :popcorn:

So far the only two i have actually used are the Stiletto and the Axiom. I liked the features and fit of the Axiom which is why the one I am leaning towards is the Dimension. It seemed like it was almost a back inflate version of the Axiom. I liked the harness system and all the places to attached my gear like the octo pocket.

If you think you may go to a BP/W in the future, check out the DiveRite HunterPac BCD. I would describe it as an integrated harness, soft back and wing. Very similar to a BP/W, but everything is integrated and there's really nothing to assemble. Throw a $10 explorer pocket on it from Piranha Dive MFG and maybe a couple weight pockets if you don't want to use a weight belt and you're good to go. I own it and really enjoy diving it compared to a typical jacket BC. You hardly know it's there while diving.

http://blog.diverightinscuba.com/product-spotlight-dive-rite-hunter-pac-bcd/
Don't let the name sway you away either. You're only a hunter if you have a sharp stick. :wink:

That's what helped me decide, the axiom fit well (a couple I rented didn't) and provided pockets for key cases, camera parts etc and multiple options to get the hoses out of the way. There are probably a lot of good choices, just gotta find one of them :)

what is left for you to "Get there"? They work the same as any other bcd, inflate as needed, dump as needed, and since you're in Florida you have the easiest chance of having someone local to help you get fit. That and it's impossible to ignore the 6lb minimum ballast advantage...

That said, of all the ones you list, I think none are worth buying. Only one I would consider if you are adamant about not going a SS plate, then the Hunterpac from Dive Rite is by far the best "bcd" on the market, and local support in your area is great since the company is based north of Orlando...

Good morning all,

I have a rookie decision to make here and I needed some input.

I am trying to decide on a BC and there are so many options. I think I definitely want to go with a back inflate since that seem to me the way most people go. The ones I have narrowed it down to are the Apeks Black Ice, the New Aqualung Dimension (without the i3), the Tusa X Wing and the Zeagle Stiletto. I know i haven't narrowed it down much but out of the 1,000 that are out there these seemed the most appealing to me. I even thought about the SEAC Sherpa but my main concern with that on is that none of my local dive shops carry SEAC so I did not want to run into any servicing issues.

Now I know what you all thinking BACK PLATE AND WING :) but I'm not there yet, I would really like to start out with a standard BC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if any of you have any of the above mentioned BCs.

I know the Zeagle comes very highly recommended on this forum but I really don't see whats so special about it, but I would really like to hear some pros and cons on any of these.

O, and I guess I should mention I will mostly be diving in warm waters recreationally.

Thanks in advance!
I dont know about the others but love the Stiletto. I have 2 backplates and harnesses for technical diving but can't let go of it. Its a great recreational bcd, good travelweight, gives you good trim but nice position when on the surface. I like the weight drop system too.

Another exceptional BCD that is kinda like a BP/W and good for travel is the Zeagle Express Tech. It is back inflate and I got the "demo" unit from Leisure Pro and I could not tell how it was a demo as it appeared to be brand spanking new. Can't beat it for the money. I then added the Zeagle Weight Pouches and for approx. $325, you have an outstanding BCD / BP/W.

I like the back plate without the wing. If you are just recreational diving relatively warm water the BC is simply not necessary and you will become a better diver more quickly if you learn to dive with a simple harness setup from the beginning. You can save a lot of money, luggage weight and cleaning/maintenance time and issues by skipping the BC.
I haven't used this one specifically but I have sommething very similar, and it doesn't get much less expensive than something like this: XS Scuba Deluxe Tank Backpack

my 1st BCD was a BP/W and i would not do anything different. it is not different at all from a normal back inflated BCD. the only difference is the shoulder strap adjustment. it's actually easier in a BP/W. adjust once, you are done.

Buy your forever BCD 1st.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom