BCD Lift Capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm past 10 dives and have rented so far but always the same 2 BCDs. Not so many available to try... The shop where I did my OWD only sells one brand which annoys me. Another shop where I've bought a few things will let me try the above mentioned BCDs. And that's all the testing I can do I guess. I do have all major equipment except for BCD and regulator (and torch if you count that in). And the BCD is definitely next on my list. I'm annoyed by badly fitting BCDs that I don't know inside out. Regulators on the other hand are expensive to service and if I dive with good shops I trust they service their regs well. So for now I'm happy renting those.
What makes the jacket BCDs fit wrong?

I tried a jacket BC during my DSD and first OW session. It wouldn’t stay down and rose up around my ears, no matter how I tightened the cumberbund. I got a BP/W with a crotch strap and it was lovely. No riding up. There are some jacket BCDs with crotch straps if the shoulders riding up is what you encounter.

What makes the jacket BCDs fit wrong?

I tried a jacket BC during my DSD and first OW session. It wouldn’t stay down and rose up around my ears, no matter how I tightened the cumberbund. I got a BP/W with a crotch strap and it was lovely. No riding up. There are some jacket BCDs with crotch straps if the shoulders riding up is what you encounter.
No that's not the issue. One was too small for starters (shops insisted it was ok). And it was hard work to get in a good position. Just not right for me. The one on vacation was actually nice but I guess I just have a feeling I'll prefer a wing style jacket, whether that's a BPW or not. I definitely want my own BCD.
And no, the BCD did not ride up at the surface.

Adjustable harnesses with quick release buckles are frowned upon in some communities. But DiveRite makes an adjustable harness with buckles that I love for single tank warm water diving. Getting in and out is a breeze, the crotch strap is softer webbing, and it's very sturdy. I think the "unexpected release/broken buckle" bugaboo is overblown for single tank.
I have that DIveRIte set up. It's great...HOWEVER I did have the OMS deluxe system and I did break a buckle!!! Now I keep those spare buckle kits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom