bcd over inflation valve...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Om3ga*wolf_1362...

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
just wondering if somebody could tell me what this bit of kit does...
i read post where people talk about checking it during your pre-dive check, but i can't work out in my head what it does???...:confused:

i'll make a guess that it stops your bcd from popping if your ascent is too fast, but does it stop the ascent, or would your up-ward motion through the water still carry you up-wards...

sorry for being a pain, but this has been bugging me all week...

The over pressure release valve on your BC (you can drop the D) lets air out of the BC if the BC is over inflated. Over inflation can come from you inflating your BC too much manually, from astuck inflator button or from an ascent from depth without deflating it on ascent. It could even come from a full BC getting hot. It is designed to save the BC from being damaged. It will not assist you with buoyancy control. If you are ascending too fast when your over pressure release valve starts releasing air, you'll still be ascending too fast all the way to the surface unless you manually dump more air from the BC or in some other way arrest your ascent. The over pressure release valve does not dump all the air, merely enough so the BC doesn't burst. Bottom line, the over pressure release valve will save your BC, it will not save you.

just wondering if somebody could tell me what this bit of kit does...
i read post where people talk about checking it during your pre-dive check, but i can't work out in my head what it does???...:confused:

i'll make a guess that it stops your bcd from popping if your ascent is too fast, but does it stop the ascent, or would your up-ward motion through the water still carry you up-wards...

sorry for being a pain, but this has been bugging me all week...

OPV = Over Pressure Valve.

Any inflatable with a power inflator needs one, i.e. all BC's, wings, lift bags etc.

Primary function is to keep the "bag" from popping if some body "leans" on the power inflator, or if the power inflator leaks.

String actuated OPV's are also commonly used to vent some wings and BC's, to control buoyancy.

In actual use, at depth, your bc will never be completely full, and if you are ascending fast enough to cause the OPV on your BC to vent automatically, you have other major problems.

Tobin

thanks guys, it's just has i thought,
but i didn't want to try it out(in a pool) before i got the low down...

and you can rest assured the d is outta ere :wink:...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom