BCD Service Issue - Did Tech Use Incorrect Replacement Part (pics included)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebmasterJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently had most of my dive gear serviced, 1st stages, BCDs, etc.
I rebuild my own 2nd stages as I like the ability to "pack my own parachute" and they are very simple.
The 1st stages I have done as they are a bit more complex, take some special tools, etc. While I was getting those done I decided to have my BCDs serviced, service runs $20 and figured with a bunch of upcoming dives it couldn't hurt.

Mares BCD
Got them back last week and dove them yesterday, when rinsing gear on my wife's BCD I noticed the kidney dump valve had a new string (white not black) upon further inspection it appears to be a thin/cheap twisted line, instead of the typical braided cord used.
In fact the (white) string used looks a LOT like the string they use to put service tags on gear, with a person's name, number, etc.
(Pics below of white replacement string, and original Mares black cord)

Before taking a trip back to the shop to ask about it, I would just like to know if that is considered acceptable, considering after 1 day's dive the string looks a bit frayed.
I don't see that as a huge deal, as air can be released from the shoulder dump, or inflator hose.
What worries me is if that corner was cut should I be concerned with other things like first stages that were serviced etc.

18762258_10213088163908602_766556237_n.jpg
18741490_10213088164828625_1309509838_n.jpg
18741530_10213088164748623_654094121_n.jpg

I'd take it back and find out what's what for sure. I'd ask why it was replaced and why it wasn't replaced by an original part from the mfg. of the BC.

I'd take it back and find out what's what for sure. I'd ask why it was replaced and why it wasn't replaced by an original part from the mfg. of the BC.

Going to head back next week and ask, just trying to figure out if I am being too critical or if significant corners were cut before going back.

If the person who serviced the BC deemed it necessary to replace the cord for whatever reason it should have been noted on the service ticket, explained to you when you picked it up and the old cord returned with all the other used parts. White cord looks a little flimsy to me.

The kidney dump gets used a fair amount so I am sure the original cord might have been a bit worn and I can understand that it might need replaced, just not sure if this kind of replacement was considered acceptable.

That is crappy string that will not last long. If the shop did not charge you extra fro that repair, it might be easier to just fix it yourself.

That is crappy string that will not last long. If the shop did not charge you extra fro that repair, it might be easier to just fix it yourself.

The cost of the string is negligible and looks like a pretty easy swap, it just concerns me that I took five 1st stages to be serviced at the same place, and if the string corner was cut I worry about other shortcuts that might have been taken.

Appreciate the input, will be making a trip down that way in the next week or so to have a chat with the manager.

I suspect the original string was in pretty bad shape so they replaced it with what they had. You might want to thank him for the temporary repair and see if he has gotten the good string material yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom