BCD/WEIGHT is it me or the bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been sort of mentioned before (on this page) but just to reinforce things. Take your gear to a pool. Test each major component for it's empty buoyancy and full buoyancy (if needed). Do a little math exercise and start from there.

Take 2 tanks of a type you normally use; one with 500 psi in it and the other full. Then in turn put your regulator and BC (with it COMPLETELY EMPTY) together WITHOUT WEIGHTS on each tank and see what you need to either sink it, or float it. (sink it with adding 1# of lead at a time and float it by hanging it from a fish scale). Next, with a tank/regulator next to you on the bottom find out how much it takes to just barely keep you on the bottom with your feet crossed at the knees and your hands held together. It doesn't matter what position you are in. Do this with your lungs as empty as you can, and at a comfortable breathing level.

You can also do this without tanks. Just take the empty BC and fold your regulator into it (dustcap ON) and see how positive or negative it is. You can look up the buoyancy of tanks easily.

Once you know the buoyancy (negative or positive) then you can add them all together and get a starting point of what you should need for weight. Anything more is probably trapped air in the BC or in your lungs (anxiety).

Good luck.

Can't properly defogged a mask is just not a right reason to go for full face mask. Not sure how you get the idea FFM, hopefully not from your LDS.

If I were to go into a dive shop, tell them I can't properly defogged my mask and ask for advices, and they told me to get a FFM, I will be speechless, walk out and never go back.

As for weighting, lots of good suggestion already. I would first try to find out how much I am positive with just wetsuit on. The determine how possible the rig is, separately. I kind of beg the issue is BC traps air.

And if you really need a lot of weight, put some on a weight belt attached to you. Dont go all 40lb integrated.

I also stated that I can breath through my nose which I don't get dry mouth and I feel like I can breath easier. It wasn't my lds that sold me on it. I googled it and liked the features and the add ons. It was me who sold me and wanted it. I also enjoy the wider view I feel like I get. Thanks for the concern on the lds though.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

Ask them for the instructor that teaches the Peak Buoyancy classes...or as they list it on their lesson page - "Perfect Buoyancy".

How is SeaBase? I always wanted to dive it. Is that the site with the introduced Butterflyfish? And the 2 sharks? Or is that Homestead Crater?

Seabase is good. The vis is a toss up but yes they have the two sharks and a sting ray. I have seen both sharks but the sting ray has hidden from me each time,

The customer service there is what is by far the best. They will bend over back wards for you to have a great time. Give it a try.

The creator is good also just no fish but its warm and inside...

Ever need a dive buddy to go let me know I'm an 2 and half hours out to sea base but we go back to slc often to see family.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

I see a real problem just having all your weights in one system. Any way you cut it if you only drop or lose one pouch you lose a third of your ballast and that's an express ticket to the surface and possibly serious injury. I can't believe (that's a lie, yes I can as too many instructors don't know how to do proper weighting) they did not warn you about this and have you use a belt in addition to the integrated system. That way you can drop enough weight to start getting postive should you need to and still control your ascent. That they let you overload that thing like that is disgraceful.

I agree and besides want to be able to enjoy diving and not fighting it every time I want it to be safe and know this is a problem that I need to fix. Thanks for the input

I used the dimension i3 for many dives. I love that bc and it's not that. I think I figured my bc was 5lbs and not 3lbs that has been mentioned... but I could be wrong.

You've gotten good advice but be careful loading that much weight in the integrated weight pockets.

Good luck

I used the dimension i3 for many dives. I love that bc and it's not that. I think I figured my bc was 5lbs and not 3lbs that has been mentioned... but I could be wrong.

You've gotten good advice but be careful loading that much weight in the integrated weight pockets.

Good luck

Do you have any problems dumping air? How much weight if your in a 7mm?

I'm 6' 250-260 in a 7mil with hood gloves etc. I wore 28lbs. In a 3mil I wore 14-16lbs. The dimension i3 is one of the most efficient bc's for dumping air.

Don't get frustrated. You can figure this out in short order in the pool. It's unlikely your BC which is good news!

I'm 6' 250-260 in a 7mil with hood gloves etc. I wore 28lbs. In a 3mil I wore 14-16lbs. The dimension i3 is one of the most efficient bc's for dumping air.

Don't get frustrated. You can figure this out in short order in the pool. It's unlikely your BC which is good news!

Great thanks

There is a book called "The Six Skills" which I highly recommend reading. Although its geared more towards advanced divers, it has a great deal of advice for divers of any stage.

It is a bit of an aside, but I agree with this. I bought it when I had ~ 20 dives and found it a great resource.

I have a SeaQuest Balance BCD. Not I3, but FWIW, I was initially having a hard time getting down until I realized how the air was moving - or not - inside the bladder. I found that a slight roll to the side ensured a full evacuation of the bladder. Now it is automatic. Interestingly, I can sometimes hear the air move from one side of the bladder to the other when I roll to the side while diving. If you can hear that bubbling back and forth underwater, it is probably a good sign that a slight roll while dumping could help you as well.

I split my weight. When diving salt, wearing a 2 piece 7mm, I carry 30lbs. I put 3 each in the trim pockets, 5 each in the removable pockets, and the balance on my belt. I find splitting it this way makes everything more manageable and I have no issue with donning or dumping the belt.

Hope this helps.

I just sent an email to Neptune divers in slc to see about getting in with an instructor and see what happens. I'm going to go in with just me and my mask and see how much weight. Then add my bcd and figure the weight, then do a 3mm and figure the weight then to finish it off go to a 7mm and see what happens. With that info I'm going to go to sea base and and two pounds at a time and figure it out. I will make this work, even if it mean hiring an instructor and new bcd.
Nephi, I believe you sent a FB message to our page also. If you don't hear anything from ND let me know, I can see what is causing all these issues.

Nephi, I believe you sent a FB message to our page also. If you don't hear anything from ND let me know, I can see what is causing all these issues.

I did. ND told me to go to sea base, which would work salt water but not fresh water. I just want to get this down so any help is great thanks.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2013 at 08:06 AM ----------

It is a bit of an aside, but I agree with this. I bought it when I had ~ 20 dives and found it a great resource.

I have a SeaQuest Balance BCD. Not I3, but FWIW, I was initially having a hard time getting down until I realized how the air was moving - or not - inside the bladder. I found that a slight roll to the side ensured a full evacuation of the bladder. Now it is automatic. Interestingly, I can sometimes hear the air move from one side of the bladder to the other when I roll to the side while diving. If you can hear that bubbling back and forth underwater, it is probably a good sign that a slight roll while dumping could help you as well.

I split my weight. When diving salt, wearing a 2 piece 7mm, I carry 30lbs. I put 3 each in the trim pockets, 5 each in the removable pockets, and the balance on my belt. I find splitting it this way makes everything more manageable and I have no issue with donning or dumping the belt.

Hope this helps.

I like the idea of splitting the weights up. Trying to get it all into the bcd is not working lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom