BC's for SAR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenQ

Registered
Reaction score
Am looking to purchase new BC's for our 20 plus member team. I would like some input from those of you in the know.....
We are currently using ScubaPro classics (read those posts... good info). I like them but, if properly sized they are very difficult to doff (and don) in combo with viking dry suits (no shoulder buckles).

Questions:

How important is lift capacity??
Jacket style vs. back bladder??
Any experience w/ Zeagle SAR w/integrated harness?
Has anyone used that BC from Lifeguard Systems???
etc. etc.

Thank You
Stay Safe
am

BenQ:
Am looking to purchase new BC's for our 20 plus member team. I would like some input from those of you in the know.....
We are currently using ScubaPro classics (read those posts... good info). I like them but, if properly sized they are very difficult to doff (and don) in combo with viking dry suits (no shoulder buckles).

Questions:

etc. etc.

Thank You
Stay Safe
am
IMHO forget the one's you just mentioned. Look at the Zeagle Tech's but don't use the weight systems, stay with a belt.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
IMHO forget the one's you just mentioned. Look at the Zeagle Tech's but don't use the weight systems, stay with a belt.

Gary D.

Gary:

I am curious as to your reasoning to stay with a belt. I dive with integrated weights and prefer it. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dan

Boater Dan:
Gary:

I am curious as to your reasoning to stay with a belt. I dive with integrated weights and prefer it. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dan
It's a lot easier to get out of the gear and keep control with a belt. Also moving gear around is easier when your in a hurry. That's all.

It seems like it's once or twice a year I have to get out of the gear to get rid of line or other crap that got stuck in it. It's just easier with a belt.

Gary D.

Ben

You're going to get alot of different opinions on this and none are wrong. Its a preference thing and what works for some may not work for others. As always, try to get out and try as many as you can BEFORE buying or you may be stuck with something you hate. Our team chose a certain BC because a bigger team in the area was using them so they must be good right? Thats the biggest mistake our team could've made.
BenQ:
Different opinions here too but a properly weighted diver doesn't need a whole lot of lift unless you're using neoprene exposure protection (which you shouldn't be). A human body in water weighs 8-16 lbs negative. If a tech diver can dive double steels with 3-4 stage bottles, scooters and who knows what else with a wing of only 55# I'd say 65# of lift is total overkill for a PSD with a single and pony. I'd say 45# is probably the most you'll ever need
BenQ:
I like back inflate because it trims out nicer and makes movement underwater easier. The argument that a back inflate will tip you forward on the surface is true only if the bladder is fully inflated (which you rarely need to do). We spend most of the dive underwater not on the surface so I'd like to focus on the underwater characteristics more.
BenQ:
Our team ended up with the zeagle 911. These are by far the worst BC that I've ever seen (except for maybe the HUB). The 911 is the same as the SAR except it doesn't have the harness integrated into it. The standards we must follow won't allow an integrated harness anyway. Look at this post to see how I really feel :wink: http://www.scubaboard.com/t66415-.html
BenQ:
I did try an XL of this BC but probably should have had an L. It was comfortable and functional. I'm not a big fan of pockets on a BC but these ones are probably the best if you're into pockets. The pony bottle pocket is a great feature. Overall I'd say it was above average and thats coming from a back inflate fan.

What I would suggest is something simple and tough like a wing with a back plate and harness with quick release buckles. The black diamond is a close second but I'm starting to move away from anything with integrated weights as well.

bridgediver:
Ben

You're going to get alot of different opinions on this and none are wrong. Its a preference thing and what works for some may not work for others. As always, try to get out and try as many as you can BEFORE buying or you may be stuck with something you hate. Our team chose a certain BC because a bigger team in the area was using them so they must be good right? Thats the biggest mistake our team could've made.

Different opinions here too but a properly weighted diver doesn't need a whole lot of lift unless you're using neoprene exposure protection (which you shouldn't be). A human body in water weighs 8-16 lbs negative. If a tech diver can dive double steels with 3-4 stage bottles, scooters and who knows what else with a wing of only 55# I'd say 65# of lift is total overkill for a PSD with a single and pony. I'd say 45# is probably the most you'll ever need

I like back inflate because it trims out nicer and makes movement underwater easier. The argument that a back inflate will tip you forward on the surface is true only if the bladder is fully inflated (which you rarely need to do). We spend most of the dive underwater not on the surface so I'd like to focus on the underwater characteristics more.

Our team ended up with the zeagle 911. These are by far the worst BC that I've ever seen (except for maybe the HUB). The 911 is the same as the SAR except it doesn't have the harness integrated into it. The standards we must follow won't allow an integrated harness anyway. Look at this post to see how I really feel :wink: http://www.scubaboard.com/t66415-.html

I did try an XL of this BC but probably should have had an L. It was comfortable and functional. I'm not a big fan of pockets on a BC but these ones are probably the best if you're into pockets. The pony bottle pocket is a great feature. Overall I'd say it was above average and thats coming from a back inflate fan.

What I would suggest is something simple and tough like a wing with a back plate and harness with quick release buckles. The black diamond is a close second but I'm starting to move away from anything with integrated weights as well.
Something I would like to add about any BC with an intergrated harness. DO NOT USE THE HARNESS FEATURE AS A HARNESS. The idiot that developed it should have been shot at sunrise. Use a second independent harness if you need one but don't use the BC as a harness.

Gary D.

Thanks for the input. Your voices of expereience are exactly what I need. I have my own opinions.... however, I am trying to make decisions to purchase standardized gear for 25 (type A) folks...........not an easy task.
Thanks bridgediver for the link to the previous thread. I am new to this forum. I looked for such a thing but couldn't find it. Did not mean to make you rehash old issues.
Bridgediver... curious why you say that the standards we must follow won't allow a integrated harness???? explain please.

Take Care
Thanks again
am

BenQ:
Thanks for the input. Your voices of expereience are exactly what I need. I have my own opinions.... however, I am trying to make decisions to purchase standardized gear for 25 (type A) folks...........not an easy task.
Thanks bridgediver for the link to the previous thread. I am new to this forum. I looked for such a thing but couldn't find it. Did not mean to make you rehash old issues.
Bridgediver... curious why you say that the standards we must follow won't allow a integrated harness???? explain please.

Take Care
Thanks again
am

Here in Alberta, Canada we legally must follow certain guidelines to operate our team specifically they are the CSA and OH&S rules. I'm not exactly sure where you're from but in the US the NFPA's are a good standard but usually are not manitdory for you to follow (unless your administration has decided that you do).
As Gary said it isn't a good idea to have an integrated harness anyway - our CSA's won't allow us to have them period so its a non-issue up here.

I am in Washington State. I posted a note in the "Ideas and Stories" forum in the Minimum Training Standards.... thread in regards to what rules we follow. In short,
NFPA 1006 (2003 edition) & 1670, WAC 296-37 (similar to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.401-440)
etc.
I havn't found anything in there quite so specific about equipment specs. (not to say it might not be in there) they are typical gvt. documents.
Anyway, the reason I was interested in the integrated harness in the first place is that while we do not do Helo ops we do occasionally need to lower and extract divers using a rope system from a high directional. Currently we use a bosuns chair with a second connection to a chest harness worn under the bc. We always wear the chest harness as a connection point for a search line so I thought that the integrated harness may be useful and eliminate a step in dressing to dive.
BUT.....It sounds like the Zeagle SAR may not be the ticket.
Will probably try to get my hands on a demo just to scope it out anyway, and then I'll add my 2cents (us$)
Thanks again for your input
am

BenQ:

Questions:

etc. etc.

Thank You
Stay Safe
am

I have never had a personal introduction to the Zeagle BC but have seen them around. When it comes to lift capacity, let's look at what you plan to do. If you are planning on doing recreational dives, certain BC's might be more beneficial, but if you plan to do any more "technical" diving, others would be better. When talking about where the air is on the BC, I love wings (back inflation) and I have even adapted back inflation within my recreational diving. I would highly recommend looking at the Diverite Transpac BC system. It is great and depending on what you want to do, from tropical recreational to staged deco deep diving, it can accomidate by letting you change the size of the lift by changing wings. If you have any questions, please let me know. Happy diving!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom