BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP, you crack me up!

Okay, all you guys, stop picking on Mike! He's a new diver. He joins this forum looking for advice and you guys want to pick on him. Stop that! btw Mike, I think you are holding your ground pretty good.

fdog,
Thanks for the definition of agog. I never would have guessed that was a real word (hence never thought to look in the dictionary).

About the bicep flexing thing, have you not seen a single dry suit with the exhaust valve located on the left bicep? If not, I would be curious to know where you have typically seen the exhaust valve located. Just curious.

RJP, that is a seriously streamlined rig.

Hopefully mine's going to look the same by the end of the week once I get rid of these ridiculously long standard SPG, BC inflator and octopus hoses and put in some DIR-length goodness :)

Hmm.. Apparently there is no "stay off the bottom" button on that BC...

Sorry Mike, but I just gotta pick at ya! :D

You'd go to the bottom if you were rushed by two adult juvenile sealions... This picture was taken seconds after my first encounter up close and personal to these large marine mammals at 50 feet of water...

I tried staying vertical with them and that just upset them more, it wasn't until I began to drop to the bottom did they leave me alone...

I don't know if you guys have experience with these large marine mammals but I don't and trying to film while staying vertical just upset one of them.

Here is the video I took, pay close attention to one of the sealions, he breaks away from the pack and rushes me and literally barks at me, teeth and everything. And let me tell you they are not little teeth.

As he rushed me he wanted to get behind me and I didn't let him, I spun with him and you'll see that in the video. I've been told these mammals like to get behind you and nip at your head.

So if that means hugging the sand, you bet I'll hug the sand, I come in at 5'4 and so I'm very small next to them.

Monterey Bay is famous for large marine mammals making a quick unannounced visit to you up and close.

MG

View My Video

bump?!

your buddy has danglies galore :)

bump?!

your buddy has danglies galore :)

Sorry but the bump was done twice to remove a double post I did accidently, I don't know how to erase a post once you place one.

And lets stay on topic, remember it's about me hugging the bottom... Why not tell me something about the sealions chief?

Why pick on my dive buddy? You have better video, because I'd love to see where you dive and what your adventures are.

Don't be shy, lets see your video and your brush with a mammal that large, what don't have one? :rofl3:

I'm waiting with popcorn... :popcorn: Don't keep me in such suspense...

No video here. Doesn't really interest me.

Reason I commented on the danglies is b/c I had a buddy like that a couple of weeks ago. Silted everything to crap with his spg, octopus and camera that kept dragging on the bottom and weren't secured properly.

As far as the sealions, I've seen them over here a few times. Not that close though and none have "attacked" me. Beautiful creatures.

No video here. Doesn't really interest me.

Reason I commented on the danglies is b/c I had a buddy like that a couple of weeks ago. Silted everything to crap with his spg, octopus and camera that kept dragging on the bottom and weren't secured properly.

As far as the sealions, I've seen them over here a few times. Not that close though and none have "attacked" me. Beautiful creatures.

I'll have to agree with you about my dive buddy dragging his spg and light on the ground. I nick-named him lobster man because he was always dragging on the bottom with his hands, he loved to explore everything. :wink:

I hated the silt getting everywhere and I also kicked up a lot when I first started, I still do it I'm not careful...

<snip>About the bicep flexing thing, have you not seen a single dry suit with the exhaust valve located on the left bicep? If not, I would be curious to know where you have typically seen the exhaust valve located. Just curious.

All my suits have had the exhaust on the outside of the left upper arm, just below the point of the shoulder. In this I would define the valve as more over the deltoid than biceps.

jamesuwarm.jpg

This valve placement is what all my suits have had. I can't operate this valve with my left hand if I try; I don't need to try, it vents on it's own as long as my left shoulder is at all high.

I have tried suits where the valve was truly more medial (closer to the midline of the body), more over the biceps, and they were a PITA, as it was difficult to vent gas when in good trim and horozontal.

My next suit will have a right shoulder dump for scootering, which is opposite the inflator hose, and <shrugs> I'm not anticipating any user issues with that and the BC.

Okay, one suit I've had didn't have this location for exhaust, it was the O'Neil Supersuit as seen on the gal below.

Still, the topic at hand is the use of the i3 with a drysuit. I'm not entirely sold that the two would be a flail festival. As I said it was a non-event for me in the pool.

All the best, James

Attachments

• ONeilsupersuit.jpg
    ONeilsupersuit.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 67
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom