BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

Thanks for posting your pics, and your experience. When I started reading this thread, I didn't think much of that setup at all. However, a little more than 1/2 way through, I saw that I was being picky (yes... I'm a tech diver with a BP/W). Sure - for tec diving, the unit still isn't a great idea, but for basic OW dives... you've got me curious.

If I had the chance to try one out - I recon I'd give it a go. Sure - I'd be more comfortable in my current setup, but is that because it's more comfortable in general... or more comfortable because I'm used to it.

I love the idea that deflating opens all valves. Again - from an advance diver point of view... sure - many reasons why 'not' to need it - but again, for recreational diving - it could come in quite handy!

Thanks for having the guts to post the pictures of your setup! I found it quite informative, and after reading some of the other posts here, I've learnt another thing too... I need to watch my attitude being a tech diver. I certainly don't want to take on some of the arrogance (whether intentional or otherwise) I've perceived from some other posts here.

All of this.... about putting air.... in a bag?

But men (and tech divers in particular) love their bags.

All of this.... about putting air.... in a bag?

No stranger than the fuss made over putting a ball in a hole (golf).

Bottom line for me in evaluating the technology is summed up by two questions:

1) What problem does it solve?
  • Well, it does get rid of the inflator hose and people with limited hand functionality could likely operate it easier.
2) What problems does it introduce?
  • If you are diving with me and your inflator goes out, I have a spare ready for you. You would be hosed diving this rig.
  • Not many divers are familiar with this inflator.
  • It monopolizes a hand when inflating or deflating.
And, of course, you WILL die if you dive this rig.

Is it possible to snag the lever on something? That could be a bit of a surprise in a confined area. Hard to tell from the picture.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I haven't read the whole thread.

I met a diver a few weeks ago who was using one and said he really liked it, HOWEVER on more than one occasion his high pressure hose kind of got under it and started inflating his BC without his knowledge. So, yeah that could be a problem.:D

Sorry if this has already been answered, I haven't read the whole thread.

I met a diver a few weeks ago who was using one and said he really liked it, HOWEVER on more than one occasion his high pressure hose kind of got under it and started inflating his BC without his knowledge. So, yeah that could be a problem.:D

Can you be a little more specific about the high pressure hose getting underneath the lever and triggering it to add air?

Something just doesn't make sense? :confused::confused::confused:

t. All the clips, rings, pulleys, straps, etc, etc.
What kind of Rube Goldberg BC are you diving? Is it steam powered? :) I had a good laugh at the images that came through my mind. :) Cheers...

I did a quick dive in one and have some observations: I found the lever to extremely easy to use and easy to remain neutral bouyant. But I also suck at bouyancy so it was easier for me. I found the overall size of the 'jacket' BC to be just too big for me. Seemed like I was wrapped in a lot of fabric. Also, unlike the Mares AirTrim, it's impossible to use with your right hand. I heard an instructor complain about that when he tested it. He had to grab a student with his left arm which made it extremely difficult to controal bouyancy.

I don't see how the device is anymore complex than the normal button bouancy control or the Air/Octo combination. The engineering is pretty straigth forward.

Oh, I own the Oceanic Excursion, which I thought was more comfortable than this BC. But that's personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom