Be careful where and what you drink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN-Having been a distiller I would be a little more concerned about the methanol and acetone in the "heads" than the potentially harmful turpenes.

Unfortunately, you are not going to find many "good ole boy" Appalachian moonshiners in Mexico or any other foreign country where cutting high quality, known brand liquor with crap, potentially lethal moonshine is rampant. When in foreign countries, I only drink bottled beer that is not opened until at the table. It is a shame because I really like Margaritas.
See my earlier post - beer and the occasional shot of Xtabentun. I don't go so far as to demand the beer be opened at the table; I believe that if my beer were tampered with I'd know it and I don't see what the point would be. I can see how unscrupulous bar owners might want to stretch their booze budget by "watering" their booze with alcohol obtained elsewhere, but I don't see where they would gain any advantage by trying to do that to beer. I am not so paranoid that I think bar or restaurant owners on Cozumel (and Cozumel is all I am talking about) would be intentionally trying to poison me.

See my earlier post - beer and the occasional shot of Xtabentun. I don't go so far as to demand the beer be opened at the table; I believe that if my beer were tampered with I'd know it and I don't see what the point would be. I can see how unscrupulous bar owners might want to stretch their booze budget by "watering" their booze with alcohol obtained elsewhere, but I don't see where they would gain any advantage by trying to do that to beer. I am not so paranoid that I think bar or restaurant owners on Cozumel (and Cozumel is all I am talking about) would be intentionally trying to poison me.

I do not do it out of fear that a bartender/waiter is going to poison or tamper with my beer, but I do it for the sake of the beer. IMO, the less time between opening the bottle of beer and me drinking it, the better. Unlike a nice red wine, I do not think aeration improves the beer, but that is just my preference.

Today Fox News reports a Wisconsin woman died at the swim up bar in Cancun and authorities discovered an "underground" distillery that provided home made alcohol to many Riveiera Maya Resorts. Her's occurred at an Iberostar but they also found the same problem a Fat Tuesday in Cancun.

May just be 100 proof or could be contaminated..No wonder the Cozumel Fat Tuesday regular maggie knocks me out!

Just one more thing to worry about, but from now on I drink mine out of a bottle bought at Mega.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
More of the same. I saw a similar incident in the news and posted about it on July 27. Bad Booze in Mexico

At least the authorities claim to have done something this time. The last few times, everyone (authorities included) just denied there was a problem.

So far, it's all been on the mainland. I'd still stay away from Iberostar on Coz just because it's happened at their other properties repeatedly. Hopefully this situation will come to a head and be put to rest before the Scubaboard 2018 Invasion trip to Cozumel.

FAT TUESDAY was also listed in the IRS release and there is very little reason to hope that the infection has not crossed the channel years ago. Personally it would be hard to get me. Normally just Vodka rocks with a lime and I really can tell the difference between most high end name brands. (except when Chief hits me with one of those poison margaritas)

dave

I think the Mexican government getting involved in policing the tainted alcohol is mere lip service. If they really wanted to choke out this horrendous and dangerous practice, they would also investigate and punish the hospitals and medical institutions which exploit, capitalize on their synergistic relationships with those resorts whom indulge in this practice. The upfront fees charged to the patients' along with refusal to discharge until their "fee" is paid is a tremendous cash cow.

I think the Mexican government getting involved in policing the tainted alcohol is mere lip service. If they really wanted to choke out this horrendous and dangerous practice, they would also investigate and punish the hospitals and medical institutions which exploit, capitalize on their synergistic relationships with those resorts whom indulge in this practice. The upfront fees charged to the patients' along with refusal to discharge until their "fee" is paid is a tremendous cash cow.
Do you have any evidence that such collusion is going on or is it just conjecture on your part?

I do not do it out of fear that a bartender/waiter is going to poison or tamper with my beer, but I do it for the sake of the beer. IMO, the less time between opening the bottle of beer and me drinking it, the better. Unlike a nice red wine, I do not think aeration improves the beer, but that is just my preference.
Meh. IMO, if it's still cold and not flat, it's not been opened long enough to make any difference to me. BTW and FWIW, here in Texas it is illegal for waitstaff to bring an unopened container of beer to your table.

When I first went to Q Roo the grocery stores all had large alcohol displays, even the tiny ones. Always half blue bottles and half red bottles. Suddenly there were only red bottles and the displays are tiny. Back then there were people drinking fruit juice on the streets that were really drunk. I never checked but I'm pretty sure the blue bottles were straight ethanol. Am I right?

Back
Top Bottom