Be honest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
After reading the rest of the thread, I see most folks assume you're talking about the dive tables. If that's what you mean, of course I can work them. Can't everyone?

I agree with Walter, it doesn't seem to be an optional skill, but like any skill, it atrophies from lack of use.

i am still using the tables (MN90), not so often, but sometimes :wink: I always have a set in my packet, in case of...
My computer has been out two times during the dive, that's why i have a secondary digital system and a set of tables. But I think the way of diving here, in France, is different than yours. We often (always, i should say) get into the deco stop procedure :wink:

We dive with computers, but usually calculate using tables at least one day of dives on our trip just for curiosity's sake, but always have all the information there to back-calculate all our dives if necessary.

Nic160:
How many of you are doing are exceeding the NDL ? Mandatory Deco ?

We have been over the NDL based on table calculations a number of times - but that is why we use a computer. It just means that if our computers fail (hasn't happened... yet) during the dive, we are done for the day if we were over NDLs.

I use a computer and rdp on every dive I do.

I usually follow my computer. but find myself reviewing the tables every so often coz i have to teach them to the new divers as well. i have never exceeded the NDL, but came close to it. even so, i do deco stops every so often aside from the safety stop at 15 ft, just to play safe :)

I figured out dive tables before I was taught (it was quite straightforward), and I can pick up just about any table I've ever seen in just the time that it takes to scan the numbers. Then again, I occasionally play with the fibonacci series in arbitrary bases (and sometimes even without carrying), so a few lookups on a table or three are fairly simple with the way my brain works.

I'm with Walter... don't know what a dive time chart is...??

I use tables to setup my gear at the site.. Does that count?

(Yes, I use tables and verify my dives often..)

Many times, I will even use a computer "V Planner" works nice..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom