Beach dives Florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridanewbe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have recommendations on any sites that you can shore dive?
Rich

Ft Lauderdale/Pompano have some nice shore diving since it drops off maybe 100m from the beach and you are in deep water depending on which beach you go to. You will see dive boats 1/4 mile off shore putting people in, and that is still 100fsw sometimes

If you are looking specifically for shore dives in the FL Keys, sorry, I think you are out of luck

While of course you can put on a mask and snorkle, there is nothing to really see other than some sea grass - the reefs are +/- 6 miles offshore - too long a swim!

I know, the Keys are islands, and you would think you could but the truth is you can't!

Some have posted that there is some shore diving in the mangroves, and I guess there is, but what I read into your post is you are looking for reefs you can swim to - you are out of luck in the Keys, but beach/shore diving does exist in Broward and PB counties.

Nice sig line Phil

There isn't much shore diving in the Keys. You could shore dive at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo but not much to see. In the Keys, boats take you a short ride 4-6+ miles off shore to some of the world's finest reefs and wrecks. Most of the dive sites are 20-35 ft deep and perfect for newbies or snorklers as well as divers. Only the deep wrecks such as the Duane or the Speigel Grover require Adv. Open Water certification or higher.
You'll have a blast in the Keys.

What about B Honda

Bahia Honda is Ok for snorkling. Not much to see. Like the others said, the reef is way off shore.

There is really NO shore diving here in the Keys. Boat trips are the only way to go.
Ft Lauderdale/Pompano is for beach diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom