Beach diving access on GCI...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phreaticus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
What's the status on beach diving on Grand Cayman these days...specifically off NW Point (Dolphin Pt Apts), closest to the wall sites there?
Also, what about Hepps Pipeline, Smiths Cove, the apartments just south of Sunset House (nice mini wall there, near the Carrie Lee wreck), and Babylon Wall on the north side. I've done them all years ago, but might want to do one or two again on a cruise?
Just wondered if acces had changed, I know it has on the north wall (used to beach dive The Gallery, outstanding sight, with scooters back in the 80's), mostly replenishment zone now? I found one good website that had a lot of good info and photos of the road/beach acces points, just wanted to know if it was current.

One recent change (2009) is that Sundivers took over at Turtle Reef and the 2nd Divetech facility relocated nearby to a new site at Litehouse Point. Divetech shore diving

What type of dives do you want to do?

Easiest way to do something deeper if you are only there for a limited time would be to head to Divetech at Lighthouse Point.

We used sidemount gear with regular Al 80's. Call ahead for high O2 deco tanks.

Bit of a surface swim out to the big wall. It slopes fairly steeply from 60 feet to 200 then goes vertical/overhanging forever. Seriously cool dive.

For an easy single tank dive would recommend Sundivers (Old Divetech site at the Turtle Farm)

Babylon is still accessible and as good as ever,but I dont see how you could rent tanks and drive over there if visiting on a cruise.

What's the status on beach diving on Grand Cayman these days...specifically off NW Point (Dolphin Pt Apts), closest to the wall sites there?
Also, what about Hepps Pipeline, Smiths Cove, the apartments just south of Sunset House (nice mini wall there, near the Carrie Lee wreck), and Babylon Wall on the north side. I've done them all years ago, but might want to do one or two again on a cruise?
Just wondered if acces had changed, I know it has on the north wall (used to beach dive The Gallery, outstanding sight, with scooters back in the 80's), mostly replenishment zone now? I found one good website that had a lot of good info and photos of the road/beach acces points, just wanted to know if it was current.

Smith's Cove & Babylon are still doable more or less as you remember them. Hepps Pipeline, Dolphin Point and the Parrot's Landing site are now private property so you would need permission to access the sites. In addition, I doubt you will find a ladder at Dolphin Point or Parrot's Landing; you should find one at the Hepp's Pipeline / Wall site.

Thanks for the info...I always take my sidemount (Nomad) rig to the island...allows singles or SM capabilities, if I want the extra gas. What about access to Ghost Mountain, up on the far NW side, past the old Spanish Bay Reef property...swam out there one time, again, in the 80's...is the beach there still pretty much undeveloped?
Does anyone (liveaboards?) dive The Gallery any more, off Grape Tree Point...it's an outstanding site, too bad if no one can see it any more?

We have dived Ghost Mountain from shore. Access is over an empty lot just to the west of Villas Papagallo. The shallows there are also nice. It's a bit of a kick.

The Gallery is also accessable from shore but it's in a No-Dive Zone.

Hepps you can get to just after the Cracked Conch by walking down through the bush to the sea
& along the ironshore.

The best way to dive the Coconut Harbour site (Waldo's) just south of Sunset is to enter at Dart Park (south of Texaco Tanks) & then head north along the mini-wall. You can still exit at Coconut Harbour & easily walk back along the ironshore to Dart Park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom