Beach people on a Dive Trip?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sayuncle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey group!

I'm contemplating GC for a summer vacation but I need to navigate carefully. We are a family of two divers and two land lubbers. I'd like to spend lots of time under water so I need to make sure I choose a resort that has a great beach right outside the door, and is close to lots of other activities.

I'm open to some recommendations and reviews of where to go (and where not to as well)!

SB, help me plan my vacation!

sayuncle,
4 of us stayed here.
Aqua Bay Club
i was the only diver.
the condo was perfect.
it is right on 7 mile beach.
dive ops will pick up and drop off.
nice pool.
good snorkling.
lots to see and do within walking distance.
give her a try.

Beach people.....ewww.

We stayed at Grand Cayman Beach Suites during our trip to Cayman last week. My wife wasn't able to dive this trip so I was in the same position as you (but with no children). The hotel didn't "wow" me, but it did have some nice features (outdoor grill for fairly good lunch, nice beach & chairs, gym, pool, spa, etc.) that my wife really enjoyed while I was off diving every morning. Also seemed to be family friendly. I feel like its location on seven mile beach was good as there were a few shops and restaurants within walking distance and easy bus/taxi rides all along SMB and Georgetown. There is a high rise being constructed next door but I never had any issue with noise.

I dove with DNS the whole week - great dive op. Picked me up at 7:15 & was back by 11:00 all except one day then off to lunch & whatever we had planned for the day - worked out great. Really enjoyed diving with them & can't recommend them highly enough.

This was our first trip so keep in mind that I do have pretty limited experience with how these compare to other hotels/dive ops on the island. I would guess they compare pretty favorably though from what I saw.

It all depends on what you want. The Radison, Westin and Ritz are all on SMB but are pricey. My bias is to stay in a condo up at the north end of SMB like Christopher Columbus or the Anchorage. Beautiful quieter beach area, close to the yacht club where most of the north wall dive ops leave from and still close enough to Georgetown to get there easily by car or jitney. I would stay away from Sunset House or Cobalt Coast as they are on ironshore with no beach. I would not reccomend Morrits and Reef Resort at East End as they are very quiet, a long way from Georgetown and your non diving family members might get bored.

I stayed at Villas of the Galleon, and loved it. Low key, but close to activity. And a washing machine can be invaluable.

Sent from my phone, so typos are gonna happen.

I would suggest that you stay in one of the places at the more northern section of Seven Mile Beach, and rent a car. This means that you get the benefit of a quieter beach (which can be an issue on days when lots of cruise ships are in) and you can easily get to the on-land things that those members of your party want to do. Pretty much any dive shop located north of Georgetown will pick you up and take you to either their shop or the boat, some of the smaller boats will even pick you up off the beach.

Sunset House is not bad all around for divers. I'm sending some folks in a similar situation to Cobalt Coast. This is one of my favorites along with Compass Point. I think these are the two best on Grand Cayman.

If you are into quiet, look at the east end. Morritt's condos can be found cheap in their owner's forum. We do this every year. Do a quick google search and you should find it. IMHO, the best diving on the island is out east. Red Sail is onsite. Ocean Frontiers is 7 minutes down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom