Beached Killer Whale in Poipu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is terrible. I would love to see a killer whale in the wild but definitely not one that is beached or sick.

Saw it last night too....sad. I never thought that we had them around here, pretty far from home, no?

now FINALLY people will believe me and my sightings,, now if i can just find that video of the wolphins @ barbers point
(actually if you ask any long time fishermen (boat) they'll confirm killer whales in hawaii, you just gotta go far enough off shore and take a little to long to pull in that tuna)

That is sad. I love diving the Poipu area but I've never even heard of a orca sighting.

Killer Whales do come to Hawaii, but it is rare. Since there are more humpbacks, Killer Whales are making the trip to feed on the babies. Here are some other reports about Orcas in 2001 and 2004.

CDNN :: Rare Killer Whale Sitings in Hawaii
Honolulu Star-Bulletin Hawaii News

Probably the same reason why we are seeing more Great White Sharks.

One of the news casts said there are approximately 250 Killer Whales around the Hawaiian chain. Can anyone confirm that? That would be awesome to see one in the water. Especially at scuba depths...but after seeing how they love to play with seals and people (only in captivity) I'm not sure I would get too close. :)

Heck did you every see the video of how cruel they are when killing a baby Grey Whale? >> YouTube - Whale Attack
Orcas hunt gray whale calf

Oh and if you still think they are cute check this out :)
YouTube - Orca attack on Great White

Other Vids
YouTube - killer whale attack a hopeless girls

Killer Whale vs. Sea Lions (flv video) download at fliiby.com

Before you attack me on this...I am only showing you what they can do...and I do understand nature and it's needs. Just like bears need salmon to eat so do the Orcas need there dietary supplement ;-)

Dave, the whale was right at Poipu Beach, down the street from our shop and from where you and your family stayed/played. It was sighted the night before and while I missed it personally, several of my friends said it was the most heartrending thing they've ever witnessed. I'll see if I can send you some photos (if you want).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom