Beautiful and Peaceful Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterPhase

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What dive locations would you recommend for a two week, land-based diving experience for beginner divers? We spent a couple of days diving in Bunaken a couple of years ago. That wasn’t enough! We’re looking for diving as amazing as Bunaken. Hey, we’ll even take better!

We have been tempted by PNG, Komodo, and the Maluku areas. While we would like to try an area other than Bunaken, perhaps Northern Sulawesi (Bunaken, Bangka, Lembeh) would be the best area for us?

We have very basic needs….coral, marine life diversity, diving equipment rentals, and a simple, quiet bungalow. Interesting local hikes in the area would be a plus.

Hi Waterphase,

I have some experience diving some of the places you mentioned in Indonesia. Komodo, I can say almost for sure, does not meet your criteria. Fierce currents and long boat rides from land based ops probably will not be the most "peaceful" experience for beginners. I think taking a LOB is best for Komodo anyway.

But I think Exploring the whole of N. Suluwesi is very much what you are looking for. Lembeh for critter muck diving, Bunaken for great coral and Bangka for a bit of both. You may want to check out Tangkoko Nature reserve which is in the area as well: Tangkoko National Park

Wakatobi in Southern Suluwesi may also be an option.

I can't speak for PNG, but the "better than Bunaken" diving in Indonesia is typically more advanced diving because of strong and sometimes unpredictable currents. IE Komodo, Raja Ampat, Alor all fit into this category.

Touring the North coast of Bali, mainly the Amed, Tulamben, and Menjangen areas would be good for beginners but I don't think you will find the coral to be better than Bunaken. But great diving all the same. The Liberty Wreck in Tulamben, in particular, is probably the best beginner dive I can think of anywhere. Bali is a good "peaceful" dive vacation option if you can manage to miss the crowds. Lots of hikes to be found in Bali.

Ambon may be worth looking into for great coral and macro critters, but I have yet to dive there so I can't speak for required experience level.

Thanks, Magrone!

Entering Indonesia to Bali sounds like our best option. On my last visit to Indonesia I was focused on land based travels which included landside Bali. It was only at the end of the trip that I discovered what I had been missing under water.

So, we will be focused, thanks to your suggestions, on Tulamben and Nothern Sulawesi. If we have time at the end of the trip, we might hike some volcanoes in Flores. However, I believe that diving will keep us pretty enthralled.

Your information is very helpful. I also found your other posts on the forum to be interesting as well. Enjoy your next diving travels...whether it be Ambon, PNG, or one of your other favorites!

Mimpi Indah looks like it has a lot of appeal, AlMitch. Thank you for the specific recommendation. The videos are amazing.

What particular dive sites that people like in that area?

We stayed at Pulisan when on our last trip to Indonesia. The winds had picked up too much for diving. We found the house reef to be bland. They do have a nice web site.

Where is your next dive vacation going to be?

quiet ..beautiful peaceful diving ... Marantale, central sulawesi, 40 km from Palu, at tomini bay side.
still fresh in my memory when we descend slowly, nothing but blue around us, no wall, just very very blue crystal clear water, then when we looked down, 10 m below, beautiful and healthy coral in zero gravity with viz. more than 40m, no particles in the water.. was unreal ..

We stayed at Pulisan when on our last trip to Indonesia. The winds had picked up too much for diving. We found the house reef to be bland. They do have a nice web site.

I was really considering Pulisan for the trip but in the end went with Mimpi. It sounds like I made the right call! So other than the fact that you never got to dive much how was Pulisan? What were the accomodation, beach and food like?

quiet ..beautiful peaceful diving ... Marantale, central sulawesi, 40 km from Palu, at tomini bay side.
still fresh in my memory when we descend slowly, nothing but blue around us, no wall, just very very blue crystal clear water, then when we looked down, 10 m below, beautiful and healthy coral in zero gravity with viz. more than 40m, no particles in the water.. was unreal ..

Marantale definitely sounds relaxing. I enjoyed reading some of your previous posts about Marantale as well as viewing the pictures. I'll check it out.

My mantra tonight as I go to sleep is going to be..."very blue crystal clear water, healthy coral, excellent viz, zero gravity" I'm going to sleep like a happy baby.

I am not sure that I can be trusted to judge any standard of accomodations. Plus I am a vegetarian. So, I can't be trusted for judging food, either. But, I'll give it a whirl.

Pulisan was pleasant. We walked the beach and took a nice easy hike up to a viewpoint on a hill. The accomodations were fine. The food was fine. I just needed the diving to provide me with more to do since I am an active person.

Back
Top Bottom