Beginner Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack45

Reaction score
I am a beginner looking for the least expensive gear for the best quality. I have come up with this gear based on price and recommendations from a previous post. If there is anything on this list you would not recommend please let me know.

ScubaPro Crystal Vu with Purge – $38
ScubaPro Jetfins – $62
ScubaPro Fino Snorkel – $23
Tusa Imprex 5mm boots – $30
Sherwood Magnum Regulator – $183
Sherwood Standard Octopus – $65
Henderson 3mm wetsuit – $110

I will rent my BC and guages till I can afford it.

All this obtained on LeisurePro.com (try it on in stores then purchase proper size over net)

gauges, they are basically part of your reg setup, at least the SPG.

Try things on for size at your LDS and then ordering online is, shall we say, tacky at the least. IMHO

I am on a tight budget and I am trying to get into the sport. This is the best I can do so if I have to be tacky then that is what I have to do. Paying for two people requires me to be tacky.

Certification $280
Mask $60
Snorkel $30
Fins $120
Hernderson 3mm wetsuit $180
Boots $45
Regulator $200 - $350
Octopus $138
(Shop Price)Total $1103 x 2 = $2206 (Paying for two people)
The internet price is much cheaper as you can see, and I think the difference is worth being tacky.

The shop I get certified at gets my rental business.

Is that first set of prices the LDS price? If so they are not that bad. As has been stated over and over, you have to be aware of what you are buying on line. You have heard all the things about warranties and returns and the possiable problems assosiated with that. I work at a shop on weekends(for cheap gear) and keep in mind that shops survive on the equipment sales. They make very little money on classes, books, fills , and rentals. I am not saying not to buy online, but if you want your LDS to be around, you have to support them. You are dealing with life support and I take comfort in knowing what I buy I can see and touch. If I have a problem, I take it back and get a new one. No waiting, no hassels.
I would have to belive that your LDS could put a package togather of the items that you want and help cut down on cost. I have noticed over the last couple of years, LDS's get a little testy when people bring in "on line gear" and want them fixed.
I do not mean to get on my soap box about supporting the LDS, but gear I am not familiar with, I would not trust, especialy with my son. As I said before, the eq that you have listed seems to be fine. Good luck

Jack45,
Seadog gave you some very valid advice. Constantly installing and removing guages everytime you dive is a PITA. The cost of chasing around to find guages to rent will soon pay for a decent set of guages. You will be much safer using your own guages.
That's really benevolent to give the LDS your rental business. I'm sure they will nominate you as the preferred customer of the month. Give them a break and take your business somewhere else so they can serve their real customers.
Dive Safe,
Larry

If your super tight on cash, go to walmart and buy at least your snorkle there. One of the 5-7 dollar e-cheapo tubes should meet all the requierments on your OW.

Walmart also carries some decent masks if your looking for something simple.

You'll will have a lot of dificulty renting just guages. They tend to come attached to regulators. You also require some sort of timeing device, not listed here. The least expencive way to do that is ala Hothgarian. Buy simple SPG's and a simple wrist mount bottom timer.

Jack45 once bubbled...

All this obtained on LeisurePro.com (try it on in stores then purchase proper size over net)

Seadog thought it tacky, I think it is more like stealing.

Whatever business you're in I hope people don't take up your time, sample your wares and then buy elsewhere, no wait, I do.

Jack45 once bubbled...

I will rent my BC and guages till I can afford it.

If you use the LDS for fit, you owe it to them to buy it there. That is one of the reasons they have the inventory...

At least I don't have to warn the California LDS's about you....

I buy plenty online, but purchase the "fit needed" items at my LDS.

Renting guages is neither recommended nor easy. The guages generally come with a reg attached, and I don't recommend you performing maintenance tasks (connecting and disconnecting guages) on rental gear.

Our LDS offers students 10% discount on equipment purchases pretty much indefinitely. An LDS can also offer you a very attractive package deal and some will even work with you on payment arrangements if you certified there, are serious about diving and are a fairly upstanding person.

ALso if you buy a Scubapro reg mail order in the US it may have a warranty or it may not. For sure though it will not have a Scubapro warranty and you will not be entitled to the free parts at annual service that come is part of the Scubapro warranty coverage.

Also if your LDS goes out of business due to too many people trying to save a few bucks by buying mailorder, where do you plan to get your air? You priced a compressor lately? They are around $2500-3000 bucks minimum but maybe you could get one cheaper mailorder.

Mailorder is really, really bad for the industry as a whole and a responsible diver really should avoid it.

I agree with most of the posts, here but most of know that a certain someone will be poking in here shortly to "show us the light about the pricing at an LDS and how we don't need them":rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom