Beginner scuba setup.. New?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A backplate & wing is not for everyone. Some people like pockets, integrated weighting, easy on & off, and have zero intention of doing anything beyond 130' or any other kind of tech. I would venture a guess that 90% of the divers out there will never venture much past 100' deep and prefer open water diving to cave, overhead, wreck penetration, deco or anything more involved than jumping in the water and swimming around checking out the fishies.

There are plenty of good quality sets of gear out there that are reasonably priced and will give you years of fun swimming around the ocean. Figure out what honestly suits what kind of diving you want to do for the foreseeable future, and find the best possible gear within your price range. Concentrate on the really important stuff first, you need air to breath so your reg set should be first. You'll need a computer that will help you stay safe and will help you plan your diving. A BC is high up on the list, but I've seen some really awesome divers puttering around the ocean with some horrible BC's and they are probably better in the water than many guys out there in a BP/W.

Good luck, and don't forget about supporting your LDS. You might pick up some great deals on used and well maintained gear there, and you'll help them be around for future days.

A backplate & wing is not for everyone. Some people like pockets, integrated weighting, easy on & off, and have zero intention of doing anything beyond 130' or any other kind of tech. I would venture a guess that 90% of the divers out there will never venture much past 100' deep and prefer open water diving to cave, overhead, wreck penetration, deco or anything more involved than jumping in the water and swimming around checking out the fishies.

There are plenty of good quality sets of gear out there that are reasonably priced and will give you years of fun swimming around the ocean. Figure out what honestly suits what kind of diving you want to do for the foreseeable future, and find the best possible gear within your price range. Concentrate on the really important stuff first, you need air to breath so your reg set should be first. You'll need a computer that will help you stay safe and will help you plan your diving. A BC is high up on the list, but I've seen some really awesome divers puttering around the ocean with some horrible BC's and they are probably better in the water than many guys out there in a BP/W.

Good luck, and don't forget about supporting your LDS. You might pick up some great deals on used and well maintained gear there, and you'll help them be around for future days.
Well said.
And don't forget that some LDS will match prices of even the most discounted websites. Got the T-Shirt , Lynnhaven Dive Center Va Beach.

Do not buy from an online shop. Do not buy from craigslist or similar sites. Buy from your LDS. You should only consider buying online if your LDS doesn't have a specific item that you're interested in. Sure, online deals may save you a couple dollars, but is it really worth it? When your LDS goes out of business because you refused to support them, are you going to send in tanks to the online shop to get them filled? If something is wrong with the gear, wouldn't you prefer to know that you can bring it to your LDS for service / warranty? Support your LDS!!!
Spoken like a true shop owner looking to sell things. No offense but your advice is seriously biased against the consumer getting the best deal.

There are plenty of ways to support an LDS but buying the most expensive equipment there isn't the best option. If an LDS needs local sales to stay in business, they need to catch up to this century and change their business model.

I have bought every piece of gear I own (other than a couple of accessories and wetsuits) on Craigslist or ebay. If I wanted to buy new, I'd buy from an LDS but I just don't see any justification in paying 3-10+ times the cost for something that works the same, and in many cases is the exact same item.

Spoken like a true shop owner looking to sell things. No offense but your advice is seriously biased against the consumer getting the best deal.

There are plenty of ways to support an LDS but buying the most expensive equipment there isn't the best option. If an LDS needs local sales to stay in business, they need to catch up to this century and change their business model.

I have bought every piece of gear I own (other than a couple of accessories and wetsuits) on Craigslist or ebay. If I wanted to buy new, I'd buy from an LDS but I just don't see any justification in paying 3-10+ times the cost for something that works the same, and in many cases is the exact same item.

I'm an independent instructor that does not teach through a shop, and I don't sell equipment. Believe me, I am all about the consumer getting the best deal.

No respectful dive shop would ever want you to support them by buying their most expensive equipment. They would want you to buy the items that works best for you, whether or not they sell the item. (Yes, believe it or not, these shops are all over the place) As far as cost goes, if you find a better deal, why not provide your LDS with a chance to match the price? Some will even beat it!

I'm glad that every piece of equipment you've purchased off of craigslist and ebay has worked perfectly and never failed. The normal scenario of a 'great deal' found on craigslist or ebay is quite different:

New: $599
Used (Craigslist): $399
Used (LDS): $499

Sure, craigslist looks like a great $200 savings! But, since it's used, and it's a life support system, it needs to be serviced. Servicing fees could be as low as $50 or as high as $500, but will probably average around $150; that is, IF the item can be serviced. Paying the average of $150, the total cost would come to $549. There is no warranty because it's no longer in the original owner's hands.

When you purchase a used item from a respected LDS, you'll know it works and you won't have to worry about servicing fees for a while. Most shops will also put their own warranty on the item.

The only question here should be new or used, not where the item should be purchased from.

Buying gear on line is not going to hurt a good LDS. What will hurt an LDS most times is the LDS itself. I just got back from shipping a BPW to Wyoming. Last week some regs to New York. Two weeks ago a set of regs and a BPW to Okinawa.

When I was early in my diving I thought my LDS was the shizzle. Then I found Scubaboard and The Deco Stop and put them to the test. Around the same time I hooked up with a couple of GUE trained divers. So first I wanted a 7 ft hose. Asked my LDS. He said "you don't need that." I know I don't need it, I want it. "Well let me see what I can do." Three weeks later I ordered one from Scubatoys.

Not long after that I wanted a BPW and even did the research and had a supplier willing to take him on as a new dealer. He told me wait as his current line was coming out with one. Three months and still no BPW. I ordered one from Deep Sea Supply. Then a second one a month after that because I wanted a separate doubles rig. His line took another year and a half to bring theirs out. In the meantime he tried to sell me an old Dive Rite Transpac he had left after they cut him or he dropped them. I didn't want that.

It was just one thing after another that drove me from that shop to another tech oriented one where I guess I dropped close to 5 grand on gear, training, and travel. Then they pissed me off on a personal level when my wife passed away. So I went independent as an instructor and did what I could to get what I needed from Dive Right Inn Scuba, Scubatoys, Piranha Dive Gear, and Leisure Pro. Then I got an offer to become a dealer and took a chance. My philosophy was and is to give better than LDS support on line. And I manage to do that pretty well based on my repeat customers. Can I sell air? Nah, but there are enough good shops most places that do and still manage to keep their doors open in spite of me.

I've even formed partnerships with some of them. Sometimes buying on line is not only less expensive but you may get better service than a poorly run LDS. I have two LDS's I work with locally. I contract for pool time, air fills, and rental gear for students. I let them handle my vis's and hydro's. Neither of them have on line stores. And the other bigger on line stores don't seem to hurt them at all. And for one reason - service. Give good service and you'll survive. Expect to survive just because you can sell air but not give good service? That LDS should fail.

Buying gear online is not going to hurt a good LDS. It's also not going to help them. On top of that, when people get that regulator in the mail and it needs to be set up or adjusted, they usually complain about paying for they service since "It's brand new!"

If I'm buying new, I buy from my LDS. If I'm buying used, it usually goes right to them for service/repairs. I bought a well used Ranger BC last summer, spent $100 on parts & labor to fix it up, and it's great. I don't see a problem buying used gear, I've gotten some great deals here and on Craigslist.

The only stuff I buy online is the stuff that my LDS can't or does not supply. I like knowing that the money I spend is supporting a local business. I'm also one of those rare loyal customers. I prefer to buy from only one LDS if possible.

A user in my other post posted the link below.. Was wondering if it is an acceptable set...
Competitive BC Package - Dive Right in Scuba

That will work..I remember the weekend we(wife,daughter, & myself) got certified(1985) I bought 3 sets of (DACOR basically-BCs & regs) full diving gear from our instructor's shop-ie couldn't wait to have 'our own'..........Used the BCs for 15 years & upgraded the regs within 5 years........But, it worked ie got us all home safe & sound--& 'healthy'.......

EDIT:...Keep in mind, there was no internet to surf deals etc etc.........If I were to do it again, I'd buy new, just look a lot more before purchasing right away as we did..

Last edited:
I'm an independent instructor that does not teach through a shop, and I don't sell equipment. Believe me, I am all about the consumer getting the best deal.

No respectful dive shop would ever want you to support them by buying their most expensive equipment. They would want you to buy the items that works best for you, whether or not they sell the item. (Yes, believe it or not, these shops are all over the place) As far as cost goes, if you find a better deal, why not provide your LDS with a chance to match the price? Some will even beat it!

I'm glad that every piece of equipment you've purchased off of craigslist and ebay has worked perfectly and never failed. The normal scenario of a 'great deal' found on craigslist or ebay is quite different:

New: $599
Used (Craigslist): $399
Used (LDS): $499

Sure, craigslist looks like a great $200 savings! But, since it's used, and it's a life support system, it needs to be serviced. Servicing fees could be as low as $50 or as high as $500, but will probably average around $150; that is, IF the item can be serviced. Paying the average of $150, the total cost would come to $549. There is no warranty because it's no longer in the original owner's hands.

When you purchase a used item from a respected LDS, you'll know it works and you won't have to worry about servicing fees for a while. Most shops will also put their own warranty on the item.

The only question here should be new or used, not where the item should be purchased from.

I definitely agree with your last sentence (emphasis mine). Make no mistake you can be rooked just as badly buying used as buying "overpriced, unnecessary" stuff from your LDS. I am just cheap and have been diligent about finding truly good deals before I buy. I also know how and am willing to service my own stuff, which a lot of people aren't willing or able to do. I disagree entirely with your assertion that people shouldn't buy from CL or ebay, (or other online options) though. That's really poor advice if you are really trying to get the best options for the consumer.

I've never heard of service fees on anything coming anywhere near $500 (except possibly new seals on a dry suit) but I didn't read anything your original post that implied anything about buying used from a shop, just buying from a shop. Had I read that as buying used, I wouldn't have posted the way I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom