Beginner Snorkeling Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewFin:
So I'm finally going to sink some money into my new found sport. I would like to buy a beginner's snorkeling package for my g/f and I. My goal is to get fins, mask, snorkel and bag for around $100-150. I have a preference for adjustable fins, a snorkel that has an air valve on ir (from letting water in) and black and silver in color.

If this a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320111793490

So, what would be the best value for my money and where would be the best place to get them?

Any help is appreciated!:D

I'll throw out another place to check on equipment IF money is the only concern....123scuba.com....I recently bought a $82 MSRP mask for $36 from Laura there...I'm thinking she can help you on price....

Now saying that, BE SURE it fits & in order to do that you will have to have tried it before hand, that's the problem....Do you have friends etc that have their own right now, ie somehow trying this stuff before buying???....good luck....sounds like @ some point, the way you're trying to beat the price, you'll have to go out on some kind of limb....

I cannot reitterate enough how important fit (& comfort!) are when choosing mask/fins, even if it is just for snorkeling. You'll thanks us later!

I'll say it again too.

Get to a local shop and get fitted for this stuff. It's the cornerstone of your skin-diving which is a great gateway to scuba diving.

BTW add booties to the list. You will need them to go with open heel fins.

Don't get full foot pull on fins since they will limit where you can safely enter and exit the water.

With extensive surface time skin-diving a dry snorkel will add to your comfort in moderate waves.

A decent mask, snorkel, fins and booties will probably come in a little over $200. Done right it is 100% transferable to scuba diving.

Pete

Why do I need boots for open heel fins? Is it so I don't cut my feet when crossing these things? I thought we are not suppsed to walk on anything living?

This is a good example of why you NEED to get to a dive shop and look at this stuff and try it on. The foot pockets of open heel fins are designed to be used with a boot unlike the more form fitting full foot fins (excuse the alliteration) that are designed to be comfortable on the foot and fit snug. Unless you are only doing boat dives, the terrain and entry points are almost always going to be a little rough on the feet and warrant the need for some type of exposure protection on your feet... dive boots!!

An suggestions of dive shops in Dallas?

The Kraken:
You should really purchase your masks from a shop where you can try them on.

Buying a mask through the internet is like buying a pig in a poke.

Fit is crucial in your masks.

the K

I buy virtually all my stuff from LeisurePro. A few weeks ago I ordered 5 or 6 masks that I was interested in. Same with fins. When they arrive I tried them all on and purchased a Mares mask and Oceanic fins.

Sent the others back and my credit card was credited in a few days. Even with the shipping costs LeisurePro had better pricing and service. Also, you don't have to have some clerk breathing down your throat while deciding what to buy.

Today I received 2 Cressi and 1 Neo-Sport 7mm jumpsuits. The Neo Sport is a perfect fit. The others are going back.

Sy

NewFin:
Why do I need boots for open heel fins? Is it so I don't cut my feet when crossing these things? I thought we are not suppsed to walk on anything living?
kirkryan captured it pretty well.

Open heel fins are sized to fit with boots.

Getting in and out of shore sites you will want some protection on your feet so that rules out full foot pull on fins. Full foot fins are OK for specialized situations like pure sandy beach entries and warm water boat diving.

Open heel fins and booties are 100% versatile and safer. You can get into a very good enough pair of booties for about $30.

Pete

sytech:
I buy virtually all my stuff from LeisurePro. A few weeks ago I ordered 5 or 6 masks that I was interested in. Same with fins. When they arrive I tried them all on and purchased a Mares mask and Oceanic fins.

Sent the others back and my credit card was credited in a few days. Even with the shipping costs LeisurePro had better pricing and service. Also, you don't have to have some clerk breathing down your throat while deciding what to buy.

Today I received 2 Cressi and 1 Neo-Sport 7mm jumpsuits. The Neo Sport is a perfect fit. The others are going back.

Sy

Thats swell when you are 1 UPS zone away and the shipping is cheap and fast. Not my way of doing business but if it works for then so be it.

Most new divers will benefit hugely by having the right clerk breathing down their throat.

Pete

I'd either go with Leisure Pro where you can return it as stated or go somewhere that'll let you try the mask on at least. I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb here and say that a comfortable, non leaking mask is probably the best thing you could ask for while snorkeling. You can probably get some decent stuff from Leisure pro as they are having some spring sales event. I got a new Cressi Sub mask, snorkel and fins for under $100, so for $150 I'm sure you can get some good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom