Beginner Snorkeling Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewFin:
An suggestions of dive shops in Dallas?

http://scubatoys.com/store/location.asp

I don't know Texas very well, but the above linked map makes it look pretty close.

As mentioned above they offer a 10% discount to Scubaboard members (which I'm *assuming* applies to in-store purchases) and are regularly raved about all over the board.

Good luck.

If you get open heel fins, don't automatically buy $30 3-mil booties. You might try something like a cheap water sock with a sole first. You don't necessarily want big bouyant booites on your feet for snorkeling (or for diving, for that matter).

So I went to scuba toys and talke to a guy there. Very friendly and informed staff. I tried on some masks and fins and think I'm going to buy a package from them and then upgrade fins at a later time.

A few follow up questions:
Are all "dry" snorkels really the same?
-I was looking at the Aeris and the guy said that all of the snorkels they ad were the same, that one company makes most of the snorkeling equipment out there and then companies just put their brand name on it?

Are split fins really better?
-the guy explained the technology and from what he was telling me, if just makes sense from a phyics point of view?

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Looking from to my next trip!

Opinions about fins are like a*#holes... everyone's got them. I love my paddles and longblades just as much as the next guy loves his splits, so you need to figure that one out on your own. Some will say they have different utility but I know plenty of people who SCUBA with their longblades which are designed for apnea diving so it's really whatever floats your boat. As for the snorkel, I would remind you that you are going to be in the water and anything rarely ever stays 'dry'. Just my 2 cents on that topic.

NewFin:
So I went to scuba toys and talke to a guy there. Very friendly and informed staff. I tried on some masks and fins and think I'm going to buy a package from them and then upgrade fins at a later time.

A few follow up questions:
Are all "dry" snorkels really the same?
-I was looking at the Aeris and the guy said that all of the snorkels they ad were the same, that one company makes most of the snorkeling equipment out there and then companies just put their brand name on it?

Are split fins really better?
-the guy explained the technology and from what he was telling me, if just makes sense from a phyics point of view?

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Looking from to my next trip!

If you are in Dallas, scubatoys is the best choice.....:D

Dry snorkels really do make snorkeling much more enjoyable. I would guess that any of them with a valve of some sort would be about the same. We have the Ocean Master dry snorkels with the flexible mouthpiece connector and they are great. We got one without the flexible connector and it was uncomfortable so I cut it apart and used a flexible connector from a cheap snorkel, and that works great.

I don't think split fins will make much of a difference for snorkeling. I would recommend getting whatever is most comfortable on your foot.

I tried snorkelling with Apollo Bio Fin and I find them very comfortable. Unlike my Quatros which are a pain when they break the surface. Yeah.. I should keep em below the surface, but the sea ain't exactly level... I think. Basically, soft flexible fins are better for snorkelling than 'hi-power' or 'hi-thrust' fins....

I agree with the black silicon skirt mask. It's better. And for a fact that it doesn't turn yellow like its transluscent counterparts.

I use Apollo Bio Snorkel. Very comfortable because I can slide the holder up and down the tube (limited only by an adjustable silicon band on the tube). Also, it's kinda neat when I just push the button the detach the snorkel from my mask. Check it out!
A bit pricey though, but hey.... it's neat... Cons: Useless SplashGuard attachement.

Happy snorkelling!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom