"..beholding the depths.."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this is going to sound very churchy, since, well, it comes from Church.

The Episcopal Hymnal, at S-236, has "A Song of Praise", which is part of the every-Sunday liturgy at my Church in New Orleans: Hymnal 1982: according to the use of the Episcopal Church S236. Glory to you, Lord God of our fathers | Hymnary.org

Verse 5 begins, "Glory to you, beholding the depths", then goes on to other things to give glory for. But though it goes on, with the choir singing beautifully and us in the pews giving it our best effort, my imagination stops right there, at "Beholding the Depths", and poof---I'm underwater, sunlight filtering down, it's beautiful, all the reefs and ledges and creatures and flora...

A very nice moment. And I (we) get to go see those depths, how lucky can a bloke get?

According to Orthodox teaching, church hymns are echoes of Heaven. People love to hear church singing at First Church Love Portland. If it is good and beautiful, church singing rarely leaves anyone indifferent. And it's not always sung by people with a background in music. Sometimes people come to church just to listen ... and then they stay. That's how their conversion journey begins. And Christians help unbelievers feel the depth of the chants and services, and that prayerful spirit is passed on to the whole church.

Nm

According to Orthodox teaching, church hymns are echoes of Heaven.
Echoes of a cenote entrance with beams of light dancing. Oh, yeah...heaven!

Back
Top Bottom