Belize Aggressor III or IV ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you like / can you deal with bunk beds?

The diving will (should) be essentially the same, but one of the differences is that the BA3 is a smaller boat and has smaller cabins with bunk beds. The BA4 has cabins that are big enough that the beds are side by side and are not bunk beds.

I have been on the BA3 (twice) but I have never been on the BA4. From what I believe, this is one of the biggest differences between the two boats. (I could be wrong.) If this factor does not matter to you, then go with the boat that offers the better value.

Have a great trip.

I’ve been on the III once but walked through the lV when we got back to the dock.

Concur about the bunk rooms.

I believe the III has a bigger and more diver-friendly dive deck.

I personally would choose the III over the lV when I go back...which intend to do.

But there really isn’t a big difference

I’ve been on the III once but walked through the lV when we got back to the dock.

Concur about the bunk rooms.

I believe the III has a bigger and more diver-friendly dive deck.

I personally would choose the III over the lV when I go back...which intend to do.

But there really isn’t a big difference

You would choose the III over the IV - is it due to the dive deck?

I’ll be heading on the IV soon, but never been on either one. I chose IV based on the side-by-side bed configuration, bigger rooms and larger boat. If I hadn’t been able to get a spot on the IV, I would’ve gone on the III.

I thought the prices were pretty much the same when I booked.

I will be on the III in April. When I booked, the III was the only one available for my dates. I might have chosen the IV only because it does appear to have a number of different bed configurations. Whereas the III are all bunk style, with the exception of 1 master stateroom, which I chose for the additional square footage and it is on the upper deck adjacent to the Captain's quarters. Otherwise, as mentioned previously, I believe the diving and dining experiences will be very comparable. The IV doesn't appear to have a hot tub, whereas the III definitely does. So that may be another differentiator.

You would choose the III over the IV - is it due to the dive deck?

Yes, I’d personally choose the III (3) because of the dive deck.

I dive as much as I can and then sleep like a rock so the bunks don’t really matter to me. I was raised on California Channel Island liveaboards...pretty rustic.

But there really isn’t much difference between the boats physically. Get a second or third opinion or just flip a coin. You’ll have a great time.

I'm going to go with the opposite boat as most of those posting here.

I've been on the IV back when it was the Sun Dancer but never the III. When we got back to the dock I toured the III since they were sitting right next to each other. I personally liked the IV better and would book it again if we return to Belize.

ditto, I've been on the IV 3 times and toured the III - prefer the IV. III has a more spacious dive deck, and also thought the sundeck was larger and nicer. (Though the IV has covered outside lounge space on the deck below that probably makes up the difference.) The IV is of course larger overall, and has bigger cabins without bunks. Also bigger and better inside dining - the inside dining area on the III I found positively cramped and claustrophobic and is actually what I liked least about the boat.

I've not been on either boat but have been on or toured similar boats.

Besides the differences the others have mentioned - one more to consider is that the cabins on the BA3 are all one deck below the main deck (except the master) so only have pothole style windows and the engine room is behind them on the same level,

Most of the BA4 cabins are on the main deck with large windows - it appears only cabin 1 is one deck down on the engine room level. I like that design better although the boat is likely older - it;s also often roomier - besides being longer the BA4 is also 4 feet wider. Even at 4 dives/day you're still on the boat more than you're off it.

Last edited:
So I take it we’re allowed to tour the III if we’re a passenger on the IV? If I ask real nice? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom