Trip Report Belize Aggressor III Trip Report – April 21-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well, trip fell through. The logistics were not going to work out.

Back to planning the Cayman trip!

Thanks!

Looking at the week of 4-25 through 5-2, there are really good flight prices

Definitely looking for shore diving/snorkeling so that I can be in the water as much as possible, I have to do my referral dives the first two days. Cobalt Coast is booked up but Sunset House has openings

I am going to call and see if there is anything available at Little Cayman Beach Resort and Cayman Brach BR & if they will have an instructor to do the cert dives those days. With the cheaper flights, it leaves room for the additional island hop $.

Any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Definitely looking for shore diving/snorkeling so that I can be in the water as much as possible, I have to do my referral dives the first two days. Cobalt Coast is booked up but Sunset House has openings

I am going to call and see if there is anything available at Little Cayman Beach Resort and Cayman Brach BR & if they will have an instructor to do the cert dives those days. With the cheaper flights, it leaves room for the additional island hop $.

Those are all good choices. Just an FYI, Sunset House was doing some major remodeling when we were there in November, but I don't know the current status; it may be competed before your trip in late April. I would guess that they would try to have it all done before spring break and Easter.

LCBR has been undergoing renovations recently but I understand that the work is almost completed so it should be done before your trip. Shore diving is not available from the resort.

Cobalt Coast is remodeling all the guest rooms but they are doing a few at a time; it's too bad they are booked because they do offer onsite shore diving.

CBBR underwent a major overhaul a few years ago and they are not planning any renovations as far as I know. There's no shore diving at CBBR either.

The Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn might be another option to consider. DiveTech is the onsite dive op and they will transport you to their Lighthouse Point facility to shore dive the house reef or board the boats.

It's best to rent a car if staying at the Grand Caymanian (or Cobalt Coast) but you could get by without one. A car is nice to have at Sunset House but it is not necessary, you are only about a mile from George Town. You don't need a car at LCBR or CBBR but we usually rent one for a day.

There are lots of dive ops on GC and if you stay anywhere in the Seven Mile Beach area they will pick you up for boat dives, and you can easily drive from there to the shore dive sites in West Bay like turtle reef, lighthouse point, cobalt coast.

Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on the East End offers a lot of boat diving but no shore diving, and you will need a car.

Thanks!

I don't think you can make a bad choice. Since you are going to be doing your open water cert dives and this is your first dedicated dive trip, Sunset House might be a nice option. They have numerous good instructors, a good dive operation, easy entry and exit to the onsite house reef, a nice on site restaurant and as @KathyV mentioned, the remodel should be complete by the time you get there. I have stayed there twice. First time was right after my wife had completed her Open Water certification. She ended up doing 29 dives that week and it couldn't have been a better place for her to lay a good diving foundation. If you want to do anything else in addition to diving, Grand Cayman will afford you more options for sightseeing and activities. Whereas you don't necessarily need a car when staying at Sunset House, (they will pick you up and drop you off at airport), I would prefer to have one in order to get around the island, eat at some of the great restaurants on offer, etc. Breakfast is included in the dive and stay package, but to be honest, it wasn't their strong suit. Another thing to note, the dive package includes 2 morning boat dives and unlimited shore diving. If you don't have a buddy going with you, it may prove very difficult to take advantage of the unlimited shore diving and make staying at Sunset much less attractive if you are wanting to dive as much as possible on this trip. They do offer a few other dives a couple days each week at additional cost. These are dives on the Kittiwake wreck and the Stingray City dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom