Belize and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been to San Pedro, Ambergrise Caye, Belize for the past few years and going back in Marck. There are so many sights and locations that you could spend a whole season and not get bored. Almegos Del Mar is very good and walk ins are welcome. Our favorite is the dive operation at Ramons. Find Touriano and ask him about the 15' Hammerhead and he will tell you allabout it. Probably with the statement" We were OK, fish don't eat meat on Good Friday" :) Incredible experience. Wife still carries the pictures with her. Check their forums for more info http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi By the By Blue Hole is over rated but the other 2 dives are supurb. Pick a calm day, long ride. Good Luck

Just got back from Akumal MX (about 100 mi north of Belize, I think). We were worried about TS Gamma when we left, but had NO trouble during our stay. Seemed like it just "dissipated" to us, though we have neighbors who were on a cruise in the area and had rain every day! Interestingly, there were no weather reports or news shows on the hotel TV, and I just assumed people there are so used to good weather that they don't worry about it! On Saturday TS Gamma was forecast to be gaining stength and heading our way, but nothing came of it. Sunday was a little cloudy, but the rest of our time was clear or have just a few puffy clouds to add a little contrast above the azure horizon.

I think you'll be fine in December. This wasn't really a dive trip for me, more of a second honeymoon and my wife doesn't dive, though she likes to snorkel. We were a little disappointed that the viz was only about 25' at 40' in the ocean off Akumal, and the locals blamed that on Wilma's aftermath. So I managed to get a 2-tank dive in at a nearby Cenote (with a guide), and that was an awesome experience!

cleung:
Cozumel diving should be free of hurricanes by December.

............and so should the entire Caribbean. The hurricane season officially ended last week.

I have dived in Belize at that time of year and it's great - weather was pretty good - maybe one wet day - but still dived - I have only dived with ADM and we just did a walk in - the place became a home away from home - brilliant place! Enjoy your trip! (i dived solo a few times and it was fine)

Hey,

How are the dives to the "Blue Hole"? I hear it reaches a depth of 428 ft, but how deep do divers typically dive it?

Also, on a tangent, I like avpro4's quote in his signature line, but I heard the complete quote as, "Like a condom, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!" :D

AXL72:
Hey,

How are the dives to the "Blue Hole"? I hear it reaches a depth of 428 ft, but how deep do divers typically dive it?

The dives are as deep as you may like them. (Keep that in mind)

To see what you came to see at the BH (You knew what you were coming to see, right?), you have to be ready to do 130 to 140 foot dives. You can stop at 115 and get a glimpse, but most divers are more macho than that.

Now, do the math. You are 45 miles by your dive boat to Belize City docks. If you hose up your dive and need help, or even if you don't hose it up but you get bent anyway, just how long do you think it might take to get to a chamber? On a very good day, if the gods really like you, it will be a minimum of three long hours.

Can you tell that I'm down on this particular dive? I have been there twice. Once in the 70's and again in the 90's. It didn't change. Many folks call it a "log book dive" meaning that... you're collecting "the set".

Sometimes, like Mary's Place in Roatan, dives take on a life far beyond their real value. Look also at other round-the-world "must dives" such as Blue Corner, The Steamroller, Theo's Wreck, and on.

Go to Bleize and enjoy the little critters! Take a magnifying glass and follow your DM intently. Let them know that you want to see the micro life that Belize (and the Bay Islands) are well known for. See a Toadfish!

The Blue Hole? Oh, yes, at 130 feet there are stalactites. During your (max) 8 minute BT, note that there is no marine life. That is a log book dive.

Hurricane season is over by end of October. We visit Cozumel every Christmas to snorkel. My husband and I were going to get certified to dive this year, but he broke his leg playing hockey last week. We studied the forums and found that snorkeling is trashed, but diving is still great below 35 ft. The tourists are staying away, so it's a rare opportunity to enjoy Cozumel at a quiet time. If you have airline tickets already, you're in great shape. I'm in Denver, and you can still get nonstop RT to Cozumel for $725 on Frontier. I have a luxury condo rented that I can't get out of. It normally rents for $3000/week. I'm looking for someone to take it for $750 if you're interested. The big hotels on the beach are mostly closed, and the small hotels in town are booked. This condo is at Residencias Reef, next to the Reef Club (which is closed). One of the few beach condo complexes that's in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom