Belize - Caye Caulker ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBBnyc

Registered
Reaction score
1st - what a great site...! I've got MANY questions, but I'll start small...
I'm headed to Belize next week & want to know about dive operators in Caye Caulker. I see you've mentioned a good many in Ambergris, but I've heard the scene on Caulker is more laid back (and to my liking). Do the guides all hit the same sites anyway?
Also - I found I was chilly in Cozumel with a 3mm & could have used a hood. Should I bring one to Belize or is it any warmer there?
THANKS!
EB

Welcome to the board.

Caye Caulker is the proverbial little sister to Ambergris Caye. Much quieter and more laid back, which is really saying something! Most operators will visit various sites along the reef where buoys have been set. It helps avoid damaging the reef by anchoring.

Other than a trip out to Hol Chan Marine Park or Shark-Ray alley, you will not likely end up at the same sites as the Ambergris Caye operators.

The reef is a short boat ride out from Caye Caulker, but too far for shore diving. Any operator out of Caye Caulker will be small boats with likely no more than 6 divers. No crowded diving.

The final option you will run across is day or overnight trips out to the Blue Hole, Turneffe Reef, and Half Moon Caye. This will likely be with operators out of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. If so, they will make a stop at Caye Caulker, or arrange to have you brought out by a fisherman and transfer offshore.

Have you been there before? It sounds like I should change my destination to Ambergris - or try an overnight. I've never done that before... Any advice on temperature?

I went to Ambergris Caye early last March. Air temperatures were pleasant in the 80's, with a constant sea breeze. I had a room with no A/C, but opening the window was all that was needed.

My diving was without an exposure suit, but I'm reasonably well insulated naturally. Some other divers were in shorties, or 3mm suits for the thinner folks.

San Pedro is the only town on Ambergris Caye. It is much more bustling than Caye Caulker. With that said, San Pedro has only a short stretch of paved street near the airport. No traffic lights. No renting cars, but you can rent bikes or golf carts. And the Coca-cola delivery "truck" was a John Deere tractor towing a large trailer.

I heard some older expats comparing San Pedro to Key West of the 1950's. If that is the case, then Caye Caulker is the San Pedro of the 1950's.

I should clarify one thing. Do not attempt shore diving in town on Ambergris Caye. There are many boats ferrying people and cargo up and down the island all day. Too much boat traffic to swim out to the reef safely.

Thanks, Drew!
I'm leaving Monday and just thought I'd try one desperate plea to anyone out there... Does anyone know a decent dive shop on Caulker? In any case, I'll post my report when I get back...
eb

Caulker Dive shop..
try Paradise Down 501-22-2054 or paradisedown@interx.net
I agree with most everything Drew said. I really liked Ambergris and see no reason not to stay there. It's very quiet. Maybe not as quiet as Caulker, but I'm sure you'd like it.
Have fun!

One more thing. Let me know that you read this. I am then going to move it to "Central America". Belize is not in the Caribbean. Because of this if you are an American citizen, you need a passport to go there, not just your birth certificate.

I'll check in Sunday at both threads -- maybe some more tips will show up... If the 50K difference on the map means Ambergris is closer to the best sites, we may move there after a day or two...

What a great site!

Although this post is probably too late for EBBnyc, maybe someone else going to Caulker would like to know...

I was just there Christmas 2001/2002. I believe the dive sites were very similar to Ambergris. We never had less than 12 people on any of our boats, and up to 16 people on one trip. I don't know about quiet - bars on Caulker rock until 4 a.m. - too late for my 8 a.m. dive trips. All dives are boat dives - we could not rent just tanks and weights anywhere in Belize - although we had all our own gear and are cold water certified. Caulker has excellent restaurants and lots of great reggae. The most awesome dive operation is Young Divers Forever - they are the best, most fun, best new gear, computers for all - but book as soon as you arrive on the island - they fill up first, too. We also dove with Big Fish, when Young Divers was full.

I also dove further south, off Tobacco Caye. Even on Tobacco Caye, which is right on the reef, and has excellent snorkelling, we could not shore dive as planned. The LDS refused to rent us the tanks and weights. No money in it for them. He'd rent us the gear and shore dive if we paid for him to come along as our "guide" - we said no thanks and left the island.

Many people I met said diving in Belize was twice as expensive as Honduras. I found it pretty pricey for a "third world" country.

I went there for 10 days 2 years ago. Super great place. I wasn't cert to dive beack then, but I hear Frenchie's is a great dive op. Also if you want to take a tour of some mayan ruins go with Anwar tours (I think that's the name). Also make sure you go to the I&I bar. Interesting place, not much to it, but its got a cat walk, a tree house, hammocks and swings. Als o the shrimp melt at the SandBox Restaurant is pretty good. Also I learned that its cheaper and you get more beer if you drink your Belikan on draft and not the bottle. If you have any more questions just private message me. Oh yeah and I forgot, there is this guy named 'creek' ask for him around the sandbox, he is a local that takes folks out to snorkel to the reef and gives a great tour of the island by boat for like $15US. We even made conch ceviche on the bost! He may take some divers out if you ask.

Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom