Belize City or Ambergris Caye?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to look at Jaguar Paw resort they are located right at the zip line and cave tubing.
it's a nice place to stay for a couple of days if you do not want to go to Ambergris Caye.

Hello there --
Couldn't tell when you were leaving, but do hope you took the advice NOT to stay in Belize City (unless you would be offshore on a dive boat). It's downright scary there. Ambergris Caye (island off coast) or Placenia are the two nicest areas to stay in Belize. Caye Caulker is a wonderfully laidback island, too -- but you might want a little more entertainment after a couple of days there. And ditto on the inland trips in Belize -- I loved the cave tubing, and the howlers monkeys at the Mayan ruins were amazing.
Have fun! And, as everyone suggests, San Pedro is a fun town to hang out in.

We did decide to stay on Ambergris Caye but we are spending one night in Belize City before heading home after our stay on the Nekton Pilot. I'm getting the impression that Belize City is not very safe to walk around? Should we be pretty cautious about this? We have some friends that want us to bring home some white rum so we were probably going to try to do some shopping. Is it not a good idea to go out at night?

Having been to Belize City, there's no way I would spend the night there. I'd feel more comfprtable spending the night in downtown Detroit.

I love that Phil - - that gave me a good laugh :D

I realize your plans are already arranged, but for anyone else looking for similar information, we stayed inland at the Hidden Valley Inn near San Iganacio for 4 nights :
Belize hotel, resort, eco resort, jungle lodge, accommodation Belize
It was excellent! They have a massive private property up in the pine forrest region (which admittedly experienced a very bad fire a few years ago and is still recovering - the forrest, not the resort - but it's still a great place). We spent 4 days hiking to the many Amazing private waterfalls on their property in the jungle (the hotel straddles a fault line between the pine forrest and the jungle), one day horseback riding to an ancient mayan cave which we kayaked into with a guide, and another day visiting the mayan ruins of Tikal. It was great!! I actually enjoyed this part of the trip more than the diving part.
After the 5 days, we spent another five out on Ambergris Caye at Victoria House:
Victoria House
Probably the best resort on the island (at the time anyway) and we dove with Amigos del Mar. They were fine, nothing memorable great or bad. The dive trip out to the Blue Hole had a lot of people on the boat, but there's no avoiding that I think if you go from Ambergris.

u should try caye caulker , its a small island(no cars, just golf carts) with areal go slow vibe .... the pop. is about 2500 to 3000. the main part of the island is 4 miles long. there are reasonable lodging or a nicer is an option try iguana reef very nice... if you get there ask fo simeon, would love to meat ya if you have any ???? please ask i call it home ....

any recomendations for dive resorts for a week stay? how about ramon's? we are heading there at the end of april. thanks.

There are Pros and Cons to Belize city VS Ambergis Cay;

Belize City is dismal, and third world once you step outside the hotel, HOWEVER you have the oportunity to go water tubing in caves, jungle tours, Myan ruins, etc... outside of Belize city if you want some land excursions.

Ambergis Cay has more day trip oportunities, if you want to spend your time diving, and you have to use the locals for diving that area since they've cut all the mooring lines and hacksawed the pins once used by Nekton, and the other two liveaboards. Ambergis is limited in shore type excursions though, so my best advice is to decide if you'd rather have more dives, or shore excursions for those three days. You'll be able to dive 25-30 dives on Nekton |Pilot while you're aboard.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun with the crew on the Nekton Pilot... they are a riot|!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom