Belize: Death of Corey Monk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnydiver2003

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I don´t have any facts to the death of Corey Monk of the Nekton Pilot here in Belize.....However I read the long thread about his death on this website.

I worked on the Nekton Pilot from 6-06 to 3-07 and again for 7 weeks starting in Sept of 07, I am currently working on another liveaboard in Belize and was in Belize at the time of Corey´s death.

So what do I have too add?? ....not much. I read with great interest all the input of people who have no idea of anything about Belize liveaboard life, or of Corey´s dive experience, or of common practices of the Nekton Pilot.

Corey and I were roommates for several weeks coming out of the shipyard and in transit to Belize. We painted our room together ( a garish red!!!). I spent only one week on charter with Corey and the rest of the crew at that time here in Belize....

I was quite dissapointed with the quality of crew, in fact 4 crew members were fired the first week of charter. I had to take a skiff to rescue an INSTRUCTOR diving with a guest on a night dive...this was on a simple north-south wall.

Which leads to a point...the Nekton Pilot has always been a scuba boot camp (and always will be). Young divemasters and instructors on their first jobs.

Corey went on a night dive alone to perhaps deep depths....perhaps not. Maybe he had a heart attack (he was 35 as i recall). Perhaps not.

But the point is...never dive alone at night and never go over the wall...you can be at 180 feet before you know it.....

As far as you know it all posters....I noticed most of you had not a clue about diving.

johnnydiver2003 (on vacation in Publa Mexico)

Not sure what you have added but welcome.

Sorry you have lost a friend and a colleague.

Every liveaboard I have ever been on has a mix of experienced crew and "the boot camp" crew on their first jobs. Nekton is no different in that respect as far as I can tell. I see you didn't last long - but at 45 I suspect you have higher expectations than those much younger. Nekton does have more crew than most other boats, but they also have more guests. I suspect they don't pay as well as Aggressor either but that is just speculation.

I met you on my February 2007 Pilot Belize cruise. You by far are one of the BEST that Nekton had to offer in crew. I wish you the most and enjoyed meeting you on my diving trip. Keep that smile going too! :D

We are all sorry for the loss of another Nekton crew member.

Tim

Thanks for the input Darnold....sort of. You imply "I did not last long".

I was on the Nekton almost a year....quite a long time for that boat...and have been on an Aggressor boat for an additional 3 months. Thats a long time working 15 hour days.

Yes it is true I got tired of teaching new instructors how to do basic things like do laundry, take care of guests on the dive deck, interpet a referral form, and pick up after themselves....but am in a more professional environment now.

The problem with nekton and perhaps other liveaboards is the crew did not dive with the guests unless asked (which was rare)...so therefore all the solo diving on their off time. Is it Nektons fault Corey died? Of course not, any instructor who can not handle thereselves under the water should work in a store selling masks.

I dive every week at Que Brada where Corey died and it gives me the creeps.

Johnny

But the point is...never dive alone at night and never go over the wall...you can be at 180 feet before you know it.....

I appreciate your concern and I am sorry for the death of your friend.But,please do not tell me how to dive.

Anybody that finds themselves at 180 without knowing it should probably take up golf.

Anybody that finds themselves at 180 without knowing it should probably take up golf.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Ain't that the damn truth!

Johnny, Losing anyone you know like that sucks, sorry to hear about it. Lost one of my mates last year that played rugby with me....He was young. Anyway...Just wanted to say Hello, it is not often I see someone else here from my home town, the Port City.

Cheers, Roadtrip.

ianr33: Dive how you want dude.....no offense implied, I take care of hundreds of guests a year and that is the advice I give them. When a guest goes over the wall anything can happen...Probably this is the case with my dead former collegue. At night with no bottom beneath you, reference on the wall as to how fast you are going down is minmnal....I thing you understood my point. Guess you haunt this sight busting balls........

ianr33: At night with no bottom beneath you, reference on the wall as to how fast you are going down is minmnal....I thing you understood my point. Guess you haunt this sight busting balls........

Which is why I have 2 computers on my right wrist that is a foot away from my nose.Some of us are used to diving in bad viz where every dive is a night dive.

Not busting anyones balls,just get pissed off when told how to dive. (Which may be why I dont dive on recreational boats these days.)

No offense meant.

Johnny: “But the point is...never dive alone at night and never go over the wall...you can be at 180 feet before you know it.....”

Ian: “Anybody that finds themselves at 180 without knowing it should probably take up golf.”

Johnny: “At night with no bottom beneath you, reference on the wall as to how fast you are going down is minmnal”

Me: That’s where one o’ them newfangled gadgets like a depth gauge or computer can turn out to be downright handy. Not to mention the common sense to consult them from time to time during a dive.

It’s been reported, but not verified, that the diver in this incident had neither gauges nor working computer, so I’m sorry if my remark sounds flippant in light of what happened to him.

Bottom line for me: Regardless of your level of training or experience, it’s dangerous to get cavalier about the risks associated with the specific dive you’re doing. But I would be very disappointed if the dive industry started regulating to the lowest common denominator in diver competence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom